ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Scanner Darkly

<< < (5/5)

JavaJones:
I don't think it will be viable for a lot of films to get processed this way - it'll end up feeling cheesy in the "bah, be original" way.
--- End quote ---

That could be true, but people make the choice to make an animated movie all the time, so clearly alternative styles of presentation or "film" creation are acceptable. Entirely computer generated films are now commonplace and widely accepted. Although this isn't directly reflective of any other style or technique that has already been accepted, I do think people can get past a presentation style as being representative of one movie or genre if it's used enough. That seems clear from the CG example, starting perhaps with Toy Story (not being the first to do entirely CG, but being one of the most popular early ones).

The early adopters might have a tough time with it as far as public reception, I don't know. On the other hand novelty could get people to go see an otherwise unremarkable film. I'd be willing to bet a lot saw ASD because of the look, not knowing who Philip K. Dick is.

- Oshyan

nudone:
i'm all for automation and i'll admit that i don't honestly know what's possible with effects or not - the things that are done with 'flame' http://www.creationmag.com/editorial/features/may_02/flame.shtml (best link i could find) absolutely astound me.

i still get the feeling that there is more human intervention required to get the final result than it first appears. the 'style' is perhaps just a little beyond automation at present. if you've ever played around with adobe illustrator's live trace filter you'll appreciate how much guidance it requires to obtain something that looks good. i'd even go as far as saying it's not even worth using because of the amount of tweaking that is required to put it right - okay, it's fine if you want your result to look like it's been through a filter (and so will look like every other image that went through the same filter) but if you want your image to look like a real person created it then i'd say the filter isn't really doing you any favours.

i watched the clip of a scanner darkly from it's homepage and i was pleasantly surprised with what they've done. i can't think of anything else that looks like it (other than static vector based images) and i'm now looking forward to seeing the full film.

has anyone read the original story? i've read other p. k. dick stuff; do android's dream of electric sheep is quite removed from blade runner and should be appreciated as a separate thing altogether i'd say. his short stories, that i read, didn't really live up to my expectations. i've heard that 'a scanner darkly' is meant to be a 'classic' - anyone have any opinions?

f0dder:
has anyone read the original story? i've read other p. k. dick stuff; do android's dream of electric sheep is quite removed from blade runner and should be appreciated as a separate thing altogether i'd say. his short stories, that i read, didn't really live up to my expectations. i've heard that 'a scanner darkly' is meant to be a 'classic' - anyone have any opinions?
-nudone
--- End quote ---

Oh!

So THAT'S who the guy is :P - nope, never read any of his stories, but watched blade runner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version