ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Scanner Darkly

<< < (3/5) > >>

f0dder:
Christ, why handtrace these days? I would've thought people could've come up with decent automated routines for something that doesn't look more fancy than A Scanner Darkly does...  :-\

tinyvillager:
http://compression.ru/video/cartoonizer/index_en.html

A VirtualDub MSU Cartoonizer Filter
(Converts Movies into Cartoons)

Haven't used it,looks neat though.
I have used VirtualDub,and it's a very nice tool for editing video.

JavaJones:
Super cool VDub filter. I'd say it looks just about as good as A Scanner Darkley - so as f0dder said, why hand trace? :P

- Oshyan

nudone:
looks like a nice filter to play around with but you can see the difference in quality when comparing against the technique in a scanner darkly.

the main problem is with the result you get on the faces - the cartoonizer filter looks ugly.

perhaps this is a little clue as to why it took so long for each frame of scanner to be done - automation isn't intelligent enough to provide a final image that looks 'nice' when it comes to details like faces. there still needs to be human intervention and esthetic judgements on how the keyframes should look otherwise you end up with ugly squiggly lines where you would rather not.

f0dder:
nudone: *shrug* - the cartoonizer doesn't look like it has a big movie company backing it... or, in other words, the big studios with lot of financial backing should be able to do something better.

Sure, even with a very good filter, it might need a bit of human intervention, if nothing else at least some QA. But 500 hours per minute of film? Thats, what, 20 minutes per frame if we're considering 24fps? (Sorry if the math is wrong, I'm tired :P)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version