ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are your best working hours?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Rover:
Seem like 10P - 3A are pretty good for programming.

10A - 3P if I have to work w/ real people. :)

nudone:
i'm feeling all alone here now. i used to be more productive at night - as i had the luxury of not having to get up early. i was convinced that i was wired up in such a way that i could never 'happily' get up early and do anything.

since last december i've been getting up about 6am and now feel that the few hours that follow to be the most productive. i'm hoping i can get into the habit of waking at about 5am and get into some kind of exercise routine. too much information i know for what was asked - i just wanted it to be known that if you are a 'night owl' and would like to become an 'early bird' then it's not difficult. (i believe starting the day early does instill a more positive attitude to the day ahead - maybe i'm just deluding myself because it is the summer at the moment.)

JavaJones:
Nudone, I'm not so sure about that. It may not have been difficult for you, but I've definitely done both - night owl and early riser - and night owl is *way* easier for me. Right now I get up around 8:30AM for work every morning and it's *always* a struggle. Yet if I get the same ~8 hours of sleep and go to bed around 4AM, wake up around noon, it's totally natural and totally comfortable. There are actually even evolutionary arguments for "night people"... http://www.systemsthinker.com/interests/mind/nightowls.shtml

- Oshyan

mouser:
nice page javajones, i like this quote:

"Sleep - those little slices of death, how I loathe them." - Edgar Allen Poe
--- End quote ---

nudone:
12 months ago, i would have agreed with you wholeheartedly, javajones.

but these recent past few months have shown me that a change can be done. the 'magic trick' is perhaps to find the right time of the morning to get up. to me, 6am represents a 'positive' time to jump out of bed even though i don't have to leave the house until 8am or 9am to go to work - i don't lie in on the weekend either.

7am feels like an utterly wretched time to get up - even 8am. these times of the day are associated with things i hate - bad memories of going to school or jobs i'd rather forget. whereas the 6am time has no such associations.

i'd say it's also important what you do to start the day. don't watch tv. do something that means you won't have to do it later on in the day - it's all part of setting off on the right foot.

i can still be working on things until midnight and any moments of fatigue during the day are usually just indications that i need to move onto a more stimulating task - which i do and 'magically' i feel fully awake again.

i'm had years of getting up 'late' and going to bed 'late' and i've aggravated my sleep patterns by clock watching throughout the night. i've also found that 'longer' hours in bed are not a good thing. for me 6 to 7 hours appears to be working fine at the moment. contrast this with times i would have 8 or more hours in bed where i would feel lethargic throughout the day - never really 'waking up' it would seem.

i only have one caffeine drink a day - first thing when i get up - so my head isn't still buzzing when go to bed.

if i'm still doing all this come December time then i'll personally be convinced that this is the right way to do things. if i'm in the habit of making the 5am wake-up by then i'll be absolutely overjoyed.

the moral of my post is: if you have to get up early and it feels bad - try getting up even earlier and do something with the time - it makes a dramatic (positive) difference to the rest of the day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version