ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any way to detect and block spoofed phone numbers?

<< < (2/2)

nite_monkey:
I have hiya on my phone, however it only detects scammers and spammers. As far as I can tell, there is no option to detect spoofing.
-nite_monkey (April 19, 2018, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can't put in patterns?  Have you looked at the others?  It hasn't reached critical mass for me yet.
-wraith808 (April 19, 2018, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
I can, but then I run the risk of blocking legit callers

wraith808:
I have hiya on my phone, however it only detects scammers and spammers. As far as I can tell, there is no option to detect spoofing.
-nite_monkey (April 19, 2018, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can't put in patterns?  Have you looked at the others?  It hasn't reached critical mass for me yet.
-wraith808 (April 19, 2018, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
I can, but then I run the risk of blocking legit callers
-nite_monkey (April 19, 2018, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't get what you're asking then.  You're asking if it can automagically detect if a number is spoofed?  Don't think there's a way to do that, though I could be wrong.  I just put in the pattern.  The chances of someone calling with my same area code and exchange are pretty slim, I figure.

xtabber:
The FCC issued a Consumer Alert about the current spoofing epidemic last month.

Don't expect them to do much about it though. Here's the official FCC guide to protecting yourself from spam calls. Not much help there, although they do provide links to most carriers' pages on the topic.

I simply let all numbers that are not in my phone book go through to voicemail, and if it's a legitimate caller, I'll call back.  Google Voice is great for this since it provides text transcriptions of most messages, so I don't even have to listen to them to know if I should respond.

wraith808:
The FCC issued a Consumer Alert about the current spoofing epidemic last month.

Don't expect them to do much about it though. Here's the official FCC guide to protecting yourself from spam calls. Not much help there, although they do provide links to most carriers' pages on the topic.

I simply let all numbers that are not in my phone book go through to voicemail, and if it's a legitimate caller, I'll call back.  Google Voice is great for this since it provides text transcriptions of most messages, so I don't even have to listen to them to know if I should respond.
-xtabber (April 20, 2018, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

So much this.  I found the same alerts when searching, but they were so useless that I didn't bother to post them.  :-\ Google voice is a boon, and I have separate numbers for my home e-mail address linked to my phones live, and my main e-mail address, which isn't linked to anything that I use whenever someone requests my phone number.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version