ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Donationware 2.0" or something like that - opinions wanted

<< < (4/7) > >>

zridling:
Still, you're slipping into nagware, even with a survey. The survey is a good idea for everyone, especially if it is short and offers at least one open-ended response. But I'd only employ surveys after major versions are released. You'll just have to filter for the expected sarcastic response of why you did not donate: "Because I don't like being told to do something."

I think your goal is a noble one — defining what constitutes and separates donationware from everything else. The software industry needs a working definition. But in the end it must be kept simple; something that can be written in one line, such as:
          — Shareware — Software that you can try before you buy.
          — Freeware - Software on the web that is freely available (but retains a copyright).
          — Open Source - A program in which the source code is available to the general public for use and/or modification from its original design free of charge.

— Donationware - Distributed as freeware, donationware encourages (but does not require) the user to donate in order to register and support the software.

mouser:
But I'd only employ surveys after major versions are released.
--- End quote ---

i'm not sure i understand this point -

i think the idea was that a user could get a lifetime permanent license after answering a short one-page mini survey about why they are not donating.

so every user who chooses not to donate would answer that, once and only once, in order to get a permanent license.

Josh:
Still, you're slipping into nagware, even with a survey. The survey is a good idea for everyone, especially if it is short and offers at least one open-ended response. But I'd only employ surveys after major versions are released. You'll just have to filter for the expected sarcastic response of why you did not donate: "Because I don't like being told to do something."

I think your goal is a noble one — defining what constitutes and separates donationware from everything else. The software industry needs a working definition. But in the end it must be kept simple; something that can be written in one line, such as:
          — Shareware — Software that you can try before you buy.
          — Freeware - Software on the web that is freely available (but retains a copyright).
          — Open Source - A program in which the source code is available to the general public for use and/or modification from its original design free of charge.

— Donationware - Distributed as freeware, donationware encourages (but does not require) the user to donate in order to register and support the software.
-zridling (July 27, 2006, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, donation's should not be forced or it loses all meaning. A forced donation is basically shareware with a new name tagged on to it. I agree with zaine on the surveys with one exception. The survey should be a ONE TIME thing to obtain a license key that does not have to be renewed. If you require the user to complete the survey after each major version, you are still getting into nagware, despite the scale that it is being used on.

mouser:
if you asked them to fill out a survey after each major release you would get people shooting at you with sniper rifles as you walked down the street  :huh:

mouser:
A forced donation is basically shareware with a new name tagged on to it.
--- End quote ---

i think the idea being posed here is that you require them to donate OR answer a one-time survey.

note:
as an aside, i do think that letting users choose how much to donate by itself makes this not shareware - i think as soon as you let people choose how much to donate (even if you never added a way to let them opt-out of paying), would warrant a new term.  now whether you wanted to call this donationware is a different issue.  maybe PayWhatYouWantWare.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version