topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Bat! advice needed  (Read 4161 times)

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Bat! advice needed
« on: April 15, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Hi,
Perhaps I should post this at TheBat! forums but I know we have some active users here so I thought I'd try here first. I received "The Bat!" email client in the April 2018 giveaway (100% happiness!) and I've been using the trial while I wait (and wait...) for my key to be delivered. I'm switching from years of using Claws Mail, and I had a couple questions that maybe someone can help me with.

First, I wonder if there's a way to make IMAP access be "asynchronous" ... I'll explain what I mean. In Claws Mail, when I delete a message it is marked for deletion (shown by a lighter font in the message list), when I move a message it is marked with an arrow, when I mark as spam it gets both. Then when I've marked all the actions I intend to take I hit a button "Execute" and all the moves are made. There is no need for a "Compact" option. In The Bat! (must I always type this exclamation mark?) deleted items are instantly gone, but I keep finding when I visit my webmail page from another computer, for example, that the messages are still there, just marked with strikethrough until I hit "compact". So is there a way to get things the way I'm used to, or can you suggest your workflow for IMAP mail deletion/compaction (i.e. what combination of checkboxes have you chosen in the mail options pages)?

Also, and this might be related, in Claws mail (as I have it configured) highlighting a message (i.e. by deleting the one above, or by using arrow keys on the message list) does not load it automatically - only once the Enter key is pressed or the message clicked on directly is it loaded in the preview pane. Can I do that in The Bat!?

Second, I'm finding the IE-based HTML renderer much better than the built-in one, especially in terms of layout, but there seems to be no way to see the destination of a link. The status bar shows nothing, and while the built-in HTML viewer shows link destinations in a pop-up tooltip, there is no such thing in the IE viewer. This is such a huge security flaw that I won't even consider clicking on a link... am I missing a simple checkbox somewhere to get this information, preferably in a status bar?

I'm still getting my head around the new system so there may be more things I need to ask but these are two that are bugging me for the moment. Thanks in advance!

Eric

EDIT TO ADD:

A couple more questions: First, the "show images" button for the HTML message preview pane appears inconsistently. How can I get that button to always appear?

Second, I'm having trouble getting filtering to work the way I want. As an example, I'd like messages in my "Junk" folder to be deleted after a month. I can either create a filter to do this or set a age limit in the folder settings. But when are filters triggered for existing messages? It seems they only fire when a message is downloaded, or read. And if I set an age limit, the rules can apparently be set run "on exit" which I assume means when exiting the program.... but I never exit the program. My last email client would sit in my taskbar for months until a windows 10 update finally killed it. Claws mail ran filter rules whenever I opened a folder.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:06 AM by ayryq, Reason: More questions »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Bat! advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Sounds like you want Claws Mail instead.
Frankly, The Bat! is awesome but a couple of things can't be configured.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 11:38 AM »
There's no (free) spam filter available either. Hmph.

I did figure out that if I display HTML by default (instead of Text first, with HTML available in a tab) I consistently get the "show images" button, so that must just be a bug. However there's no way to download images "just for this message" - I have to whitelist the source.

I got my key today, but haven't entered it yet. I suppose I should post some of these questions over at their support forum.

Eric

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 11:46 AM »
There's no (free) spam filter available either. Hmph.

There is AntiSpamSniper Free...

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Yes, but (at least according to their chart) it only works on POP3 accounts. I'm all IMAP.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 11:49 AM »
Ah.
I bought the Pro version a couple of years ago. Sorry.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Free external spamfilter with imap support, including ssl/tls: www.spamihilator.com
Nb: No connection of mine, just a happy user.