ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ideas for perfect backup/sync software

<< < (2/5) > >>

f0dder:
Ahem

Also, Ideally I want a program that can keep a copy of EVERY FILE in use in the system.
-urlwolf (July 27, 2006, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
-mukestar (July 28, 2006, 03:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, it is not.

If you accidentally delete or overwrite a file, or experience filesystem corruption, there's nothing a raid mirror can do to save your sorry ass. The only thing a mirror protects against is accidental death of one drive.

Syncing to some separate location means you have an "offline" copy that can be restored if you screw up.

mukestar:
Ok, i see your point and stand corrected.

f0dder:
Ok, i see your point and stand corrected.
-mukestar (July 28, 2006, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but many people forget those points - ending up with trashed data because you put your faith in mirroring is "sorta unfortunate" :)

mukestar:
Woah, Id never put faith in Raid 1,  I would in Raid 5. :)

And you werent being harsh, im just used to working with Huge files that are quite frankly impracticle to back up. Its just down to what your using your PC for.  But your right , theres no escaping the fact if youve overwritten a file , youve overwritten a file, and unless your a dab hand with MFT records (or have something like r-studio installed) , your going to need a backup.

urlwolf:
Also, Ideally I want a program that can keep a copy of EVERY FILE _in_ _use_
-urlwolf (July 27, 2006, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe I should have said "opened". Some backup applications do not copy opened files, or do so only after coughing up for a pricey extension (hello, genie backup :) ).

The reason why I think this is important is that I have lost my working files serveral times while editing them due to applications that do not care enought to let you save a security copy automatically. Adding real-time monitoring (e.g., mark "myMostImportantWork.txt" for monitoring means that everytime I open it, an extra copy is saved in the backup, and in real time, every change I make is saved. No need to wait for the scheduled backup to kick in. That may be troublesome, and it may make for a lot of files with tiny differences... but it may be worth it.

Unfortunately a backup cannot force the application to do autosaves.If you use e.g. powerpoint with no autosave, and edit a lot before hitting ctrl+S, you may be in for trouble. I wonder if all the changes would stay in memory (just wait for the crash:) ) or there is some temporary file somewhere...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version