ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Ludum Dare 41: April 20th-23rd, 2018

<< < (4/5) > >>

Deozaan:
That's cool!  What did you use to take your screenshots? ;)
-wraith808 (April 25, 2018, 04:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not Screenshot Captor, actually. I use a tool called Chronolapse. Don't let the sleek, modern looking website fool you; I believe the tool has been abandoned for a few years. But it does the job of taking a screenshot every X seconds and has a few other timelapse-related features. It can even compile the images into a video for you. But I found the quality was too low, so I use ffmpeg to make nice HD+ videos from my screenshots.

Maybe I should poke around in the source code of Chronolapse and get it working with ffmpeg instead of mencoder... :-\

wraith808:
ffmpeg instead of mencoder
-Deozaan (April 25, 2018, 05:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Doesn't MEncoder use ffmpeg?  What's the benefit of the change, other than to reduce the number of codecs supported?

Deozaan:
--- End quote ---

Doesn't MEncoder use ffmpeg?  What's the benefit of the change, other than to reduce the number of codecs supported?
-wraith808 (April 26, 2018, 07:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know. I've never used or heard of mencoder until Chronolapse asked me for it so it (Chronolapse) could compile my images into video. But Chronolapse seems to have some important quality settings for mencoder which are not configurable, which led to really low quality (highly compressed) videos even if they were HD+ resolution. So in my searches for how to manually convert images to a video almost all search results said to use ffmpeg.

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

-wraith808 (April 26, 2018, 07:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know. I've never used or heard of mencoder until Chronolapse asked me for it so it (Chronolapse) could compile my images into video. But Chronolapse seems to have some important quality settings for mencoder which are not configurable, which led to really low quality (highly compressed) videos even if they were HD+ resolution. So in my searches for how to manually convert images to a video almost all search results said to use ffmpeg.
-Deozaan (April 26, 2018, 10:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

From. what I understand (which is admittedly not vey much), MEncoder uses ffmpeg behind the scenes, and requires that it be available It merely serves as a layer to have the correct settings for ffmpeg to utilize the settings for a variety of codecs. Here's a stack overflow article that makes me think I'm not far off in my understanding.

Deozaan:
From. what I understand (which is admittedly not vey much), MEncoder uses ffmpeg behind the scenes, and requires that it be available It merely serves as a layer to have the correct settings for ffmpeg to utilize the settings for a variety of codecs. Here's a stack overflow article that makes me think I'm not far off in my understanding.
-wraith808 (April 26, 2018, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

All of that may be accurate, I'm not arguing against it. What I'm saying is none of that really matters because Chronolapse has built-in settings that (AFAICT) can't be changed and that result in unacceptably low-quality videos. When I went looking for alternate ways to make a video from my screenshots, everything I found said to use ffmpeg directly, so that's what I did and it works for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version