topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Subfunction from Process Tamer  (Read 9797 times)

ffbb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Subfunction from Process Tamer
« on: March 23, 2018, 10:50 AM »
Hallo,

I'am interesting in a subfunction from Process Tamer. I need a function to read the CPU-Usage for only one single Process. I have tried WMIC but without success. I would be pleased about a hint.

Greetings,
ffbb

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Subfunction from Process Tamer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Try:
  • ProcessHacker (PH) - <https://processhacker.sourceforge.io/> If you enter a search term in the search box (or press Ctrl+K and then enter the term), the process(es) whose name(s) contain that term will be the only processes displayed in the Resources view of the Processes, Services, Network, Disk panels (Tabs).

• TaskManager (TM) - The standard version that comes with Windows 10 offers the ability to select one or more processes and observe their resource usage (e.g., CPU, Disk, Network, Memory) in a sampled view as moving coloured graphs in the Resource Monitor panel, as they move across a 60-second window.

ffbb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 02:04 PM »
Thanks but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to code my own routine with autohotkey. Operating system is XP.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 09:03 PM »
Thanks but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to code my own routine with autohotkey. Operating system is XP.

So you're wondering if there is an api for process tamer so that you can access it's gathered information externally?

ffbb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 02:59 AM »
That would be a solution. Another would be a call to WMIC. Unfortunately, I do not have sufficient knowledge so I need help.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 04:07 AM »
Just to get you started, have a look at these pages:
AHK fetches stuff from WMI : Autohotkey forum
Query WMI for process attributes: Microsoft Social forum (Check the answer)

You'll have to call that repeatedly (few times per second ? ), so you'd probably best limit the 'select *' to something like 'select PercentProcessorTime from Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process where Name=<yourprocessname>'
('where' clause does support Name like 'firefox%' etc.)

Use NirSoft's Simple WMI View to determine the Name (or IDProcess) used by your process, and desired attributes to form a comma-separated list instead of just PercentProcessorTime (and improve response time).
NB: Using WMI from AHK through COM will perform (much) better than exporting to text file from SimpleWMIView and processing that text file...

Edit:
Use WMI Explorer (Free for non-commercial use) to test your queries.

Edit 2:
WMI Explorer with this query:
select Name,PercentProcessorTime ,IDProcess,ElapsedTime,VirtualBytes,WorkingSet from Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process where Name like '%firefox%'

Screenshot - 2-04-2018 , 11_28_41.png
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 04:33 AM by Ath »

ffbb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 05:22 AM »
Thank you, this helps me - very nice. But there is a problem with the property "PercentProcessorTime". Under W7 everything works but under XP is always displayed 0% for "PercentProcessorTime" ( Process Tamer works fine).

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Well, I don't use XP any longer, so no clue, but you can use NirSoft's wmi view tool to try and find another, similar, attribute that works with XP. Also check the query using Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process instead of Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process, maybe that does hold data?

ffbb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 01:41 PM »
Thank you. It works.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Would you mind publishing here what you eventually created out of all suggestions? Names can be changed to protect the innocent :tellme:

ffbb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 02:46 AM »
Google translation, German - English.
I'm creating a trigger that shows when a Word document is fully loaded. I own a document archive with a lot of big Word documents (XP, Word2000). Even though the technology is now obsolete, I still use these documents and supplement them if necessary. One of the problems with this archive is accessing these documents. A short document opens in 1s and a long document with 200 pages and many pictures in 20s. But important is to jump directly to a specific passage of text after opening a document. There are many hyperlinks in my PC system that start such documents and then immediately jump to a specific passage of text. For large documents, this text access has often failed. Now I'm waiting for the process (winword) until no more CPU time is used. Then the Word document is ready loaded and the jump to the passage works perfectly.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 04:08 PM »
Thnx.