ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Need help translating old German documents

(1/3) > >>

Deozaan:
Update:

The documents have been translated. Thanks to all and especially to tomos who provided the most information. :Thmbsup:

Original message below:

Greetings to all, and especially to our German-speaking members!

I have a friend who has recently gotten copies of some genealogical documents that are written in German and since none of us know the German language, we have no idea what the documents are about or what they say. They're probably something rather mundane like birth/marriage/death certificates or something similar, but we can't know for sure until we've gotten them translated.

I'm not sure on all the details because I haven't gotten to look at the documents myself, but I think they may be from the late 1700s to the mid 1800s, so if German is anything like English, it (words, penmanship, spelling, etc.) may have changed a lot over the centuries, and may be hard to read/understand. So if anyone here feels like taking a stab at translating them for us so we can find out what kind of documents these are and what they say, please let me know and we can hash out the details via PM.

Thanks.

tomos:
Are they written in a legible script/font -- I mean legible to you/me ?
If it's anything like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackletter#Germany or if it's handwritten and difficult to read, I wouldnt even try.
If it is readable, I would be willing to have a look at them and see if I can give an idea of they're about. Due to time it would probably take, I wouldn't offer to do a full translation.

Disclaimer: I'm not the best candidate, German not being my native language. I am fluent in "everyday" German, but this sounds like a different kettle of fish. Note also that translating documents can be *very* time-consuming -- why I wouldnt offer to actually translate everything anyway. Let me know if you're interested on those terms.

Shades:
Wasn't there also something like 'High-German' as a form of the German language in those centuries? Just to make the translation job from German to whatever even more difficult...

Deozaan:
Are they written in a legible script/font -- I mean legible to you/me ?
If it's anything like thisw or if it's handwritten and difficult to read, I wouldnt even try.
If it is readable, I would be willing to have a look at them and see if I can give an idea of they're about. Due to time it would probably take, I wouldn't offer to do a full translation.

Disclaimer: I'm not the best candidate, German not being my native language. I am fluent in "everyday" German, but this sounds like a different kettle of fish. Note also that translating documents can be *very* time-consuming -- why I wouldnt offer to actually translate everything anyway. Let me know if you're interested on those terms.
-tomos (March 14, 2018, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I asked my friend for a sample of one of the documents. It looks like it's handwritten in cursive. I can read some of it ("Kinder: Johan Ludwig"), some of it I can't. But I can't tell if what I can't read is due to it being illegible or due to my unfamiliarity with the German language/alphabet/geography.

Looks like some kind of census record or family tree, with dates going back as far as 1759. But I noticed there's a date stamped in ink in the corner showing a date as recent as 1902. It appears to be mostly names, dates, and locations, but there are a couple of paragraphs of text and of course a title that probably further explain what the document is.

I'd appreciate some help knowing what the document is, and deciphering the names and dates as well. I'll send you a PM with an image and let you decide for yourself whether it's worth your time. :Thmbsup:

tomos:
Sent you a link to a copy with some info/translations.
I see above you say you cannot read the names or dates in the document -- have another look, if you still cant, I can manage that as well (as said per PM I do have problems with handwritten German, not used to it, but names and dates were readable for me).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version