topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Nuke my SSD to use again?  (Read 3271 times)

jeuda

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nuke my SSD to use again?
« on: March 12, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Hi,

Still looking for solution... perhaps there is a way to unlock my SSD... I just want to use it again. Anybody has any suggestion?

History/background of issue..

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Nuke my SSD to use again?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 11:50 AM »
33 answers there - any chance of a summary?
Tom

jeuda

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:14 AM »
33 answers there - any chance of a summary?

It is an OCZ Deneva 200GB SSD, bought used in ebay. It was working fine till one fine day, it went into locked mode when windows hung during windows Disk/Partition delete-Format mode.  Every reboot, it will goes into enter user password, otherwise, windows will not recognise or start the drive.

Contacted OCZ, says old product, no way to unlock. Have been trying all sorts, DBAN, etc... nothing seems to be able to unlock drive. Sigh...

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:12 PM »
Maybe a tool like MHDD will get you going again. But that is not for the faint of heart. Then again, the drive is already a mess, so unintentionally adding more issues to it won't make the situation any worse.

The problem you describe, it does sound familiar in a way. the exact same thing happens here often, but then with pen drives...especially from the brand SanDisk (Cruzer Blade). Out of nowhere these just go into "media is write protected"-mode after 2 or 3 months and Windows isn't able to do anything with it anymore.

Almost like the operating system isn't registering those pen drives as a 'Removable device' from that point on. I would not be surprised if something similar is going on in the situation of the OP.

If You did not try this already, you could check if the drive is usable with an alternative operating system, such as Linux, Mac or BSD. Most Linux and BSD installers (ISOs) have an option to create a bootable medium with them, so you can try these OS'es out without messing with your currently installed operating system. If you do intent to try that, make sure you disconnect the drive(s) you normally boot from first. That way if you decide to use the format options in Linux or BSD, you won't format the wrong drive by accident. 

Or try the drive in a USB hard disk enclosure. If you have a decent one, the hard disk controller inside that enclosure could "shake the drive loose" again for you.