topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 9:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why doesn't DC make its own browser?  (Read 14381 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why doesn't DC make its own browser?
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 03:35 PM »
I don't see anywhere that it uses Chromium, so I'm curious.

https://github.com/minbrowser/min

Note: Min uses an older version of Chromium, which may be missing security fixes from later versions. More Information

Ah, I didn't notice that there.  It's sort of misleading however.

https://github.com/m...suecomment-338080554

Min doesn't directly use Chromium.  It uses Electron, which uses Chromium.  So everything using Electron has that problem.  Slack, Atom, and anything on this page: https://electronjs.org/apps

I don't personally think that Electron is made to create a web browser on top of it.  But, as they are using a webview to render pages, I don't think it's as much of a security concern as it may seem.

I did continue research and find this: https://github.com/m...suecomment-340968572

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 07:38 PM »
been following this thread and it sort of dovetails into something I've been thinking about for some time

Given the rather appalling offerings in the browser market I'm wondering if there is some value in creating a new(?) board, similar to the mini-review board but specifically for browsers (Browser Wars)?

I envisage that it would borrow a lot from the mini-review board in that posters would need to provide detailed info/feedback (ie no 'chrome is great' posts).

The idea is to provide a centralised area where users can find info on various browsers, their hereditary, feature sets, strengths, weaknesses, use cases etc.   

And most of the info should stay relevant (unlike the mini-reviews which can date quickly)

is this worth pursuing or investigating?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 12:31 AM »
Given the rather appalling offerings in the browser market I'm wondering if there is some value in creating a new(?) board, similar to the mini-review board but specifically for browsers (Browser Wars)?

I am of the feeling that there is some "harm" done every time we make a new section, in terms of fractionating the community.   So my preference is always to avoid creating new forum sections.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 02:13 AM »
I am of the feeling that there is some "harm" done every time we make a new section, in terms of fractionating the community.   So my preference is always to avoid creating new forum sections.

perfectly understandable.

Is there a compromise whereby all that info could be stored in a central place rather than scattered across multiple random threads?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 07:23 AM »

perfectly understandable.

Is there a compromise whereby all that info could be stored in a central place rather than scattered across multiple random threads?

interesting idea -- not sure what you had in mind, but what about something like an index linking to all posts or threads related to a particular topic?
e.g. browsers / text editors / image viewers / etc. etc.

Most recent links on top of page, or sorted by e.g. browser
Tom