topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: how to grab and save with the key prt scn  (Read 6006 times)

erze26

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how to grab and save with the key prt scn
« on: January 23, 2018, 02:07 PM »
hello

i succeeded once to scan the entire screen  and save with only pressing the key prt screen.
but this disapeared.
how can i set it it the program ?

thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: how to grab and save with the key prt scn
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:19 PM »
I'm not understanding -- can you elaborate?

erze26

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 03:24 PM »
just pressing the key print screen, i want to capture the sreen and save directly the picture

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 03:41 PM »
That's how screenshot captor already works :)
Try choosing this option:
Screenshot - 1_23_2018 , 3_41_19 PM_ver001.png

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 05:54 PM »
...i succeeded once to scan the entire screen  and save with only pressing the key prt screen.
but this disapeared.
how can i set it it the program ?
Despite its being in this thread, I suspect that the OP may not be a ScreenshotCaptor query per se.

@erze26 seems to be talking about the built-in Windows system PrtSc (PrintScreen) function. It does not require a third-party tool such as SC (ScreenshotCaptor) to do that.
The reason the screenshot "disappears" is probably that it just goes to Clipboard as a Copy operation, and is overwritten by the next text or image Copy to Clipboard. Thus, what's in the Clipboard is transient and seems to "disappear". I think the screenshot may also be saved to a default Windows directory, but this will be determined by system settings/preferences.

This is why I keep banging on about CHS (ClipboardHelp & Spell) as being an ideal image capture management tool, if users (and its author) only but realised it. The user can forget about worrying about image filenames or what directory the ruddy image is stored in or where it is.

It really does seem rather like a no-brainer, to me: If CHS is running, then every screenshot image that goes to Clipboard also is saved to the CHS image database folder [NB: together with any post-capture SC(ScreenshotCaptor} artefacts added at time of capture, if SC was being used to make the screenshot], from where the user can, at their leisure, view that image saved - just scroll through the images flagged in the CHS Grid display and view the image (with zooming) in the CHS Memo display. The user can at that point also trigger a separate image viewer (e.g., Irfanview) from the view button in the CHS Memo display, which will have previously been associated with images in the CHS settings. Any half-decent image viewer will also have a built-in image management tool and metadata editing tool. The latter would typically be an EXIF editor - e.g., Irfanview is very good in both regards.

If the user then wants to operate on (edit/change) that image, then they can invoke the third-party image editing tool (e.g., SC is very good) from the edit button in the CHS Memo display and which would have been associated with image editing in the CHS settings. (NB: This would require that SC or other image editor be installed first, of course.)

Done this way, the user:
  • can forget about the image file (if/when needed, it's path and name are given in the Text tab in the CHS Memo display), and
  • can forget about the viewer/editor applications (they are seamlessly integrated into CHS settings), and
  • concentrate on the task at hand - namely the functionality that is required (e.g., image view and/or edit) regarding any particular screen capture or clip or other image selected in CHS.

All the above boils down to making the whole process of image capture management more effective/efficient. It's a useful time-saving approach, simply because it automates the integration of image application functionality. The user typically doesn't generally capture an image because they want to capture it per se, but because they want to do something with the image - or its file -  once it has been captured.

When seeking to improve a frequently-used and manually intensive process, the rule of thumb is generally to automate wherever possible/feasible and cost-effective to do so.
(As usually described in most/any Work Study practitioner's handbook.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:51 PM by IainB, Reason: Added notes for better sense. »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 04:10 AM »
just pressing the key print screen, i want to capture the sreen and save directly the picture
definitely need lots more info:

• are you using the Screenshot Captor [SC] software?
  • does pressing the PrintScreen key take a screenshot?
  • if you have SC installed, have you opened its main window?

just in case the answer to (1) is no -- then the solution is to install it:
https://www.donation...ps/screenshot-captor
Tom

erze26

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 06:49 AM »
thanks mouser, lainB and tomos

1- screencaptor is installed and is already minimized.
2 - Then i press the key  prt sc on my keyboard
3 - then i see the result of the capture and it proposes me different possible operations
4 - i choose "save image as" then i save it in a folder by pressing the key ENTER.

My real question is about this line number 4

it happens once, and I don't know how, that the capture was automaticly saved just pressing the key PRT SC. To be clear, i press only once PRT SC and the capture was done and directly saved, instead of two operations in the normal way.

I hope to be clear enough.

Anyway, thanks for your help

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 07:47 AM »
thanks mouser, lainB and tomos

1- screencaptor is installed and is already minimized.
2 - Then i press the key  prt sc on my keyboard
3 - then i see the result of the capture and it proposes me different possible operations
4 - i choose "save image as" then i save it in a folder by pressing the key ENTER.

My real question is about this line number 4

it happens once, and I don't know how, that the capture was automaticly saved just pressing the key PRT SC. To be clear, i press only once PRT SC and the capture was done and directly saved, instead of two operations in the normal way.

I hope to be clear enough.

that's clear :up:

There are various ways to change the preferences:
right-click tray icon > Preferences
or
again, via the right-click tray icon, there are post capture options in that menu

These are my settings: I dont get asked anything, and the file gets auto-saved:

Screenshot - 2018-01-24 , 14_44_09.pnghow to grab and save with the key prt scn

Screenshot - 2018-01-24 , 14_42_03.pnghow to grab and save with the key prt scn
Tom

erze26

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 09:32 AM »
excuse-me tomos

what is right-click tray icon ?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 09:59 AM »
excuse-me tomos

what is right-click tray icon ?
hi erze26,
I wasnt fully clear there:

tray icon = the icon in the taskbar on the right hand side
right-click = click the icon with the right mouse button => that menu shows, as shown in my last post
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 10:07 AM »
i press only once PRT SC and the capture was done and directly saved, instead of two operations in the normal way.

See my first screenshot, you just need to set the option that says to "STAY MINIMIZED ".

erze26

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 12:25 PM »
it was difficult to find the option menu. I finally found it in preferences and it works

thanks to tomos, mouser and Lainb