topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [Resolved] Looking for Audio Software for "Audio Learning"  (Read 3558 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[Resolved] Looking for Audio Software for "Audio Learning"
« on: January 22, 2018, 04:59 PM »
THIS HAS BEEN RESOLVED - I GAVE UP SEARCHING AND JUST MADE IT MYSELF. - SEE REPLIES TO THIS THREAD FOR MORE INFO

I'm looking for software that works roughly like the image below:

A-Learning.png[Resolved] Looking for Audio Software for "Audio Learning"

Basically, the reason behind this is I am currently learning Italian, and I am using things like the Pimsleur Learning Course (Audio) - so it would be nice to be able to bookmark (and have it auto-remember my last place) audio tracks - import a library (also with folders) [See below for example]

Unit I
 - Italian I - Lesson 01
 - Italian I - Lesson 02
Unit II
 - Italian II - Lesson 01
 - Italian II - Lesson 02

Etc etc...

Being able to make notes at specific times in each track (IE: "This section is for X" and then being able to do things like writing a list of words/phrases that segment of the audio track talks about), would be hugely beneficial to my learning.

Bonus Points:

If the notes could be exported as html, that would be 10000x more amazing...

So...the question is...does anybody know if such a thing exists? (Freeware would be best cause I'm not rich enough to pay for things haha but I could consider commercial).

Thanks

~Stephen
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 12:01 AM by Stephen66515 »

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for Audio Software for "Audio Learning"
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:59 PM »
In answer to my own question:

It doesn't didn't exist...so...I started making it :P

AudioMarker.png[Resolved] Looking for Audio Software for "Audio Learning"

Pretty much everything you see (Except for search) works (oh...and the flags...which I'm currently building the list for...I have the images, it's just a bit tedious doing the code for each one lol)

I will be releasing it on DC once I've polished it up a bit more and such :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [Resolved] Looking for Audio Software for "Audio Learning"
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:11 AM »
Sounds / looks great Stephen,
bonus points for making it translatable!
(although there's so little there in terms of text, that most people would manage it)
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 10:41 AM »
@Stephen66515: Re: Looking for Audio Software for "Audio Learning"
Just as a point of information, one could use Microsoft's ON (OneNote) to automatically index/search for recognisable words/phrases (in several different languages) in sound files - i.e., .MP3 and some other audio file formats - and in the audio tracks of some common video formats.
I have mentioned in this thread the very useful/clever features of OneNote. Of particular relevance is OneNote's use of audio as a datatype.
If you don't know what the heck I am talking about and if you'd like to find out more, there is a good introduction from PCworld.com - here: How to record audio with OneNote to supercharge your note-taking

EDIT 2017-01-07 0131hrs: See also my notes on page 1 of this discussion thread - Searching for information in audio notes in OneNote.

I have mostly played about with spoken English in audio tracks in sound files in ON and it works amazingly well on search (in Windows Desktop Search and in ON search) - e.g., being able to detect decipherable words phrases, even in musical songs, though it is best in straight voice recording tracks, because there is less "noise" around the spoken words. It tells you at what point (minutes and seconds) the detected words/phrase being searched for are located in the audio file.

I am currently in the process of converting a (rather good) maths course on cassette tapes to .MP3 files, for my daughter's use - putting it into ON as audio files. I am using Audacity for the conversion, as it has the capability to negate/cancel out tape hiss/hum. The (rather old) course employs audio lessons which are to be listened to in conjunction with some (rather good and still current) printed (hardcopy) learning texts on different subjects - e.g., including algebra, geometry, calculus, etc.. The syllabus is relevant to NZ NCEA standards and corresponding Aussie standards. The hardcopy is to be scanned and OCR'd into ON.

So I am to some extent doing something similar - using ON - as to what is being done in this discussion thread - whilst at the same time preserving for posterity an excellent old maths course for use with modern collaborative technology, in my "21st Century Zettelkasten PIM".

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 11:27 AM »
@Stephen66515: Re: Looking for Audio Software for "Audio Learning"
Just as a point of information, one could use Microsoft's ON (OneNote) to automatically index/search for recognisable words/phrases (in several different languages) in sound files - i.e., .MP3 and some other audio file formats - and in the audio tracks of some common video formats.
I have mentioned in this thread the very useful/clever features of OneNote. Of particular relevance is OneNote's use of audio as a datatype.
If you don't know what the heck I am talking about and if you'd like to find out more, there is a good introduction from PCworld.com - here: How to record audio with OneNote to supercharge your note-taking

EDIT 2017-01-07 0131hrs: See also my notes on page 1 of this discussion thread - Searching for information in audio notes in OneNote.

I have mostly played about with spoken English in audio tracks in sound files in ON and it works amazingly well on search (in Windows Desktop Search and in ON search) - e.g., being able to detect decipherable words phrases, even in musical songs, though it is best in straight voice recording tracks, because there is less "noise" around the spoken words. It tells you at what point (minutes and seconds) the detected words/phrase being searched for are located in the audio file.

I am currently in the process of converting a (rather good) maths course on cassette tapes to .MP3 files, for my daughter's use - putting it into ON as audio files. I am using Audacity for the conversion, as it has the capability to negate/cancel out tape hiss/hum. The (rather old) course employs audio lessons which are to be listened to in conjunction with some (rather good and still current) printed (hardcopy) learning texts on different subjects - e.g., including algebra, geometry, calculus, etc.. The syllabus is relevant to NZ NCEA standards and corresponding Aussie standards. The hardcopy is to be scanned and OCR'd into ON.

So I am to some extent doing something similar - using ON - as to what is being done in this discussion thread - whilst at the same time preserving for posterity an excellent old maths course for use with modern collaborative technology, in my "21st Century Zettelkasten PIM".

Ahhhh, this has absolutely nothing to do with "Finding" words in audio tracks - The audio tracks are learning resources (Listen and Repeat style).  The bottom left window is where you would type the native then the foreign phrase that you were just taught.  The timestamp is purely for reference (IE: If you think to yourself "hmm...how do you even pronounce that?" it gives you a way you can get back to it!)

Transcription is an option, albeit a rather complex one, which I may introduce far later (I don't know yet because I don't know quite how difficult that one is going to be)

Sounds / looks great Stephen,
bonus points for making it translatable!
(although there's so little there in terms of text, that most people would manage it)

The main software itself is not actually currently translatable, although I can have that resolved very easily (and intend to) - I'm focusing on it in a simple basis for now, and will expand to that when polishing :D

In terms of what the software actually does:

• Easily create translation notes from audio learning files
  • Make other notes via the notepad window
  • Store "Favourite" translations
  • Import/Export of all notes
  • Store current track position (when paused/stopped/quitting)

More stuff is coming soon, as and when I work on it (I'm trying not to procrastinate too much from my actual language learning...by making a language learning tool haha)

~Stephen

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 01:03 PM »
The main software itself is not actually currently translatable, although I can have that resolved very easily (and intend to) - I'm focusing on it in a simple basis for now, and will expand to that when polishing
good to know it *can/could* be done :up:
I could see something like this becoming quite popular.

If I were using something like this, my interest would be more grammar related, rather than vocabulary -- I can still simply fill in the 'native' and/or 'foreign' grammar term (FWIW between deutsch and English, they're mostly based on Latin, so very similar).
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 01:48 PM »
The main software itself is not actually currently translatable, although I can have that resolved very easily (and intend to) - I'm focusing on it in a simple basis for now, and will expand to that when polishing
good to know it *can/could* be done :up:
I could see something like this becoming quite popular.

If I were using something like this, my interest would be more grammar related, rather than vocabulary -- I can still simply fill in the 'native' and/or 'foreign' grammar term (FWIW between deutsch and English, they're mostly based on Latin, so very similar).

Yeah it's definately expandable for that usage.  In reality, I could probably add a section that is more focused on actual grammar if the original section was not adaquate.

If anybody wants the development preview, then I can tidy up some of the bits and send it to a couple of people for testing :)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 12:08 AM »
More Info Here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=45026.0

I'm gonna lock this topic and move further discussion to there :) Thanks!