topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for Data Recovery Service  (Read 2952 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for Data Recovery Service
« on: January 17, 2018, 03:33 PM »
Okay... So I have a client that is an animal clinic that had a bunch of really important files on an external hard drive ... And said hard drive got knocked off the counter by one of their cats..

The cat is fine.

The hard drive however, is toast. As apparently the platters were spinning as it fell - so the heads weren't parked - and it's now exhibiting the can't find sector zero click-of-death behavior. So any and all software based recovery options are completely out-the-window. This is going to require professional help.

So... Does anyone have any first hand experience with a reputable data recovery service that they could/would recommend?? I never ran into this particular class of pickle previously...so I don't have an existing favorite.

Thanks in Advance,

Stoic Joker

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for Data Recovery Service
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 06:33 PM »
Me neither. Maybe you think it to be silly, but did you try standard disk imaging software (to clone the disk bit by bit onto a new drive) with the portable hard disk in upside down position?

I have seen that silliness work on 2 different occasions, quite some years back now. Once in a company I worked at and once in a PIII computer I owned.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:23 AM »
I have used the local branch (NL) of Kroll Ontrack, they recovered my somewhat broken harddrive very nicely and at reasonable cost, some 8 years ago, and I recommend them to anyone needing hdd recovery.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 06:59 AM »
Me neither. Maybe you think it to be silly, but did you try standard disk imaging software (to clone the disk bit by bit onto a new drive) with the portable hard disk in upside down position?

I have seen that silliness work on 2 different occasions, quite some years back now. Once in a company I worked at and once in a PIII computer I owned.

lol, I'm down with the voodoo method. but it does the death click no matter which position I try to spin it up in. It didn't lose 0 due to wear, the heads hit the platter on impact so the surface has been marred. No 0 == no read anything ... It's going to need professional help. :(