topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CodePlex is shutting down.  (Read 3863 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CodePlex is shutting down.
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:15 PM »
So...somehow I missed this news (It was actually announced last March), but CodePlex is shutting down!

https://blogs.msdn.m...tting-down-codeplex/

Almost 11 years after we created CodePlex, it’s time to say goodbye.  We launched CodePlex in 2006 because we, like others in the industry, saw a need for a great place to share software.  Over the years, we’ve seen a lot of amazing options come and go but at this point, GitHub is the de facto place for open source sharing and most open source projects have migrated there.

We migrated too.  As many of you know, Microsoft has invested in Visual Studio Team Services as our “One Engineering System” for proprietary projects, and we’ve exposed many of our key open source projects on GitHub (Visual Studio Code, TypeScript, .NET, the Cognitive Toolkit, and more).  In fact, our GitHub organization now has more than 16,000 open source contributors – more than any other organization – and we’re proud to partner closely with GitHub to promote open source.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: CodePlex is shutting down.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 02:37 PM »
I feel like I read this news here on DC before, but I can't find it in a search of the site.

But maybe I just read the blog you linked to. :huh:

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 02:38 PM »
Yeah it's odd that it wasn't posted here - perhaps one of us mentioned it on IRC or something last year.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 02:57 PM »
I feel like I read this news here on DC before, but I can't find it in a search of the site.

But maybe I just read the blog you linked to. :huh:

I didn't really consider it important news- more of an inevitable solution, so it's likely I just read it and shrugged.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 02:49 AM »
The shutdown of Codeplex had been widely broadcast from the start, months ago.
The earliest notice I had of the details of the shutdown plans seemed to be rather abrupt - it had evidently been thought through, but there seemed to have been no courtesy to the community in the form of a prior warning of what was likely to be going on. It seemed to be a fait accompli.  I could have missed the prior warning if there had been one, I suppose. Anyway, that earliest notice was the post dated 2017-03-31 on Brian Harrys blog:
Shutting down CodePlex
tags: Uncategorized, Codeplex
03/31/2017 by Brian Harry MS
Almost 11 years after we created CodePlex, it’s time to say goodbye.  We launched CodePlex in 2006 because we, like others in the industry, saw a need for a great place to share software.  Over the years, we’ve seen a lot of amazing options come and go but at this point, GitHub is the de facto place for open source sharing and most open source projects have migrated there.
 (more at the link)...

It's quite an informative post, so, worth a read if one wanted to know the background to the shutdown plans.

Since then, many live projects have been migrated from Codeplex, emptying the place out somewhat by this stage.
It was also mentioned in little warning messages in the Codeplex Daily Summary pages <http://www.codeplex.com/site/feeds/rss

It's not that I'm necessarily well-informed, though I do try to keep current. I'm a bit lazy (can't be bothered to make the time/effort to read and memorise everything that I probably should) and I happened to have feeds to the above sources in my Bazqux feed-reader. I regularly scan the headlines of all posts, but read only the few that particularly catch my current interest for one reason or another. The feeds provide a corpus that makes for a good reference source as well. For example, it only took a couple of minutes to search quickly back through those feeds just now, to locate the date of what seemed to be the earliest notice of the shutdown that I recalled having read some time ago.

Hats off to Bazqux feed-reader.    :Thmbsup:
R.I.P. Google Reader.