topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: mozilla asking for donation in new tab page  (Read 3851 times)

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
mozilla asking for donation in new tab page
« on: December 28, 2017, 02:14 AM »
I noticed that FireFox is showing a band for donation at lower part of new tab page.

What is interesting is that the height of the band increases every day/week. Has anyone noticed it ?
It looks same like MS Edge popping a window, saying Edge is faster than .., every time I start FireFox.
Forcing user to notice.

Regards,

Anand

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: mozilla asking for donation in new tab page
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 02:59 AM »
I hadn't seen this in Firefox as I have stopped using it.
The Mozilla "nag" for donations would just annoy me now.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 10:30 AM »
I saw that one time - after a fresh installation.

exjoburger

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 10:44 AM »
I haven't seen it yet, maybe because I'm on Firefox ESR.

That's like adding insult to injury after shafting the users of the most popular old style add-ons with the "shiny fast" new version.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 02:38 AM »
On that New Tab page is a cogwheel in the upper-right corner, and clicking that reveals the option to disable 'Snippets'. That should 'fix' it. Or at least not show those messages anymore.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 04:46 AM »
Ahhh..Thanks Ath, disabled it.
Was thinking when the growing "snippet" is going to the entire new page !

Regards,

Anand

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 04:56 AM »
...That's like adding insult to injury after shafting the users of the most popular old style add-ons with the "shiny fast" new version.
Well put. Unspeakably annoying.
I wondered about ulterior motives - here:
Warning on Ghacks: Firefox Focus privacy scandal

Wow! What have we here? Oh no! Eyes hazing over with red...anger...must destroy...cannot stop...nooooooo!...not that!...not a rant!...

My take on this:
For me, this is the last straw. Judging by the mucking about with implementing add-on signing, making it well-nigh impossible for some/many authors of same to continue, then announcing after that that greasemonkey scripts were effectively going to be banned with a change in technical design, and now this data-gathering scam apparently) using Focus, Mozilla's direction really does seem to have been seriously compromised from within.

The appearance is one of Mozilla demonstrably having made a steady progress towards making the  product into a third-rate proprietary browser, with heavy constraints against easy user self-support, control and extensions, etc., abandoning its earlier objective for openness, extensions, add-ons, scripting by the community, etc.  - and apparently all by progressively incremental and deliberate design. It does not seem feasible that this was all done through accident or mistake, but if it had been, then it would amount to a bad case of serial execution errors. One has to wonder why it was done.

In any event and in any normal business concern, by this stage, those currently in control could arguably probably have been given the boot for non-performance, or negligence, or something. They sure as heck seem to have lost or warped or otherwise changed the focus of the Mozilla mission out of all recognition.

Regardless, I don't like it. I don't like it that, through incremental changes, my control over my favourite open browser has been progressively wrested from me by the selfsame organisation that I - as a Mozilla community member - had strongly supported over the years - an organisation that, in good community spirit, gave our community that control in the first place. As far as I am aware, these changes were not requested or initiated by me or other sincere users, but unilaterally by players within Mozilla and with no public mention/consideration of the potential future adverse implications for all users and for the original Mozilla direction, and it has been deliberate and going on for quite a while now.
This could rather give an impression that suggests that the Mozilla organisation may have been hijacked for some ulterior purposes, and this suggestion could seem to be backed up by a lot of the BS nonsense and implicit disguised or open bigoted intolerance of alternative views that seems to have come out of Mozilla over the last year or so.

Mozilla would now seem to be effectively in a position of dictating to the user community, paying lip service to, rather than genuinely acting on the user community's real needs. This has driven myself and many other users away from Mozilla. This would all seem to have been deliberate, and, as I said above: One has to wonder why it was done. I think we should be told.
/rant

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 08:27 AM »
@Ath - thanks for the tip! Probably saw it before but didn't dawn on me.

@anandcoral - ya, it seemed like they were growing from day to day.

Can someone enlighten me on the difference between Mozilla Corporation and Mozilla Foundation?
One makes money bit time while the other doesn't.
What does the one that makes money do with it all (some 400 million/year)?
If they spend most on sending it to the not-for-profit one, why bother users with these nagging ads?