topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2018 Pledge: PlainTasks  (Read 6780 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2018 Pledge: PlainTasks
« on: November 30, 2017, 10:41 PM »
PlainTasks will be a very simple task manager.  I start out with the best of intentions, but have a problem maintaining a task list over time and making use of it.

This application will be quite simple- a transparent window with the ability to load 3 tasks.  At any time, only the highest priority will show.  When you mark that task done, it will show the second in priority, and ask you for a new bottom priority task.  That has been working well for me as an analog idea, and I just wanted to bring it to the digital realm.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2018 Pledge: PlainTasks
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 02:00 AM »
How about an option to 'pre-load' a stack of tasks in priority order so that dismissing one automatically loads the next?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 06:32 AM »
How about an option to 'pre-load' a stack of tasks in priority order so that dismissing one automatically loads the next?
-cranioscopical (December 01, 2017, 02:00 AM)

I'd have to think about that.  I was trying to make it as simple as possible.  When you get long lists of tasks, I've found that you think about the priority too much, and want to make little adjustments, and it can feel like you're not getting through them.  This is for a daily task manager, i.e. at the start of the day, you figure out what 3 things you want to accomplish, and you focus on those.  And you can add another task when you finish one.  And so it's not really meant to carry over days.  3 tasks seems like a reasonable amount for that- or at least it has in practice.

I'm trying to approximate the OnTask in a digital world.

I was also thinking of eventually making a web version of the application, so simplicity is key so that it's easy to translate.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 04:08 PM »
Fair enough, I see your point. (My day typically begins with up to 8 tasks that are crucial. At the moment I use a text list on my phone to track them.)

camerb

• Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 05:11 PM »
I'm looking forward to trying this one out. I personally use the todo.txt format for my task lists at work, but of course it doesn't quite do everything that I would hope it could do.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 05:44 PM »
This pledge has been released.