topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Pasted images too large with new laptop  (Read 10196 times)

GillMcC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pasted images too large with new laptop
« on: November 27, 2017, 06:32 AM »
I would like to start by saying how much I love this program - use it constantly.

I recently purchased a new laptop - HP Spectre 360 with a high resolution monitor - 3840 x 2160.  Since using this I now have a problem with the size of pasted images.

Previously, on my old laptop, I would Grab a Selected Region of an image on my CAD package and paste it into Excel - in very non-technical terms (as this is the easiest way to explain what is happening) the image I was capturing would be about 15cm x 10cm of the laptop screen, and when this pasted into Excel it would appear as an image about the same size.

Now, on this new laptop with high resolution monitor, I capture the same screen area but when I paste it in the size is enormous - and I have to go to Excel format picture, edit dimensions and reduce the size to approx 30%. Which is rather time consuming as I have to do this many times a day.

I'm sure hidden away in the configuration options, there may be a way for me to specify that I want a smaller image pasted in - can someone point me in the right direction please?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Pasted images too large with new laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 06:33 AM »
This can be fixed going forward by changing the internally stored DPI of captured screenshots -- go to the "Image File Format" tab and change the dpi (try 96 if it's higher).
This should fix NEW screenshots but not older ones.

More info here: https://www.donation....msg357545#msg357545

Let me know if that helps.

GillMcC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 07:09 AM »
Thanks for the prompt reply.  I tried changing the DPI - all the way up to 600, but it does not seem to make any difference.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 07:15 AM »
Did you try the effect on NEW captures? It won't fix old images.

GillMcC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 07:20 AM »
Yes, although I did not close and re-open SSC just clicked Apply

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:24 AM »
Yeah no need to restart SC.

What file format are you using for images? The default PNG?

GillMcC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 08:21 AM »
Yes, default PNG

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 08:22 AM »
Well that's strange.. It should work.  Excel and other MS office apps use the DPI setting of captured files to scale them, which is why this issue happens in ms office apps.  But changing the dpi should fix it.

GillMcC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 08:41 AM »
Just to make sure nothing is amiss, I have attached a screenshot of my Image File format screen

SSC issue.jpgPasted images too large with new laptop

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Yep those settings look correct.
Can I ask what version of SC are you using? Just trying to make sure you are using the latest version.

GillMcC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 09:12 AM »
It is V 4.21.1

I did not make any changes to SSC between using the old laptop and the new, so I presume the issue is to do with the new higher Screen Resolution - it has caused a few different problems with various programs.  One other difference, the old laptop was using Windows 8.1, this one Windows 10

GillMcC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 09:12 AM »
Any further thoughts/suggestions on this?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 11:35 AM »
Any further thoughts/suggestions on this?
I just skimmed the thread:
have you tried pasting images from other sources into excel ?
e.g. take a screenshot using the OS and paste that into Excel -- if you have the same problem, them problem is presumably at the Excel end of things. (you dont have to take the whole screen, let's see, have a look here if you need: https://www.howtogee...shots-in-windows-10/)
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 12:15 AM »
Now, on this new laptop with high resolution monitor, I capture the same screen area but when I paste it in the size is enormous - and I have to go to Excel format picture, edit dimensions and reduce the size to approx 30%. Which is rather time consuming as I have to do this many times a day.
I know this might sound silly, but after you have pasted the (overly large) image into Excel, have you tried grabbing it by the bottom RH corner and making the image smaller by pushing the corner diagonally upwards and to the left? You should also be able to make it bigger, by dragging it out in the reverse direction.
That's what I often need to do - adjust the size of an image - when pasting clipped images into MS Office products (usually MS OneNote). I rarely paste images into Excel, but, ergonomically, MS Office products behave pretty consistently across the range, so it just might work. I recall that Excel graphs could be similarly adjusted in size (they are just objects).
Hope that helps or is of use.

By the way, I'm rather curious as to why, and what images are being pasted regularly into Excel in your case. If you don't mind my asking, are you able to describe the task that you are achieving with that?

GillMcC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 07:07 AM »
I know this might sound silly, but after you have pasted the (overly large) image into Excel, have you tried grabbing it by the bottom RH corner and making the image smaller by pushing the corner diagonally upwards and to the left? You should also be able to make it bigger, by dragging it out in the reverse direction.
That's what I often need to do - adjust the size of an image - .....

By the way, I'm rather curious as to why, and what images are being pasted regularly into Excel in your case. If you don't mind my asking, are you able to describe the task that you are achieving with that?

IainB thanks for checking, but  this is what I used to do when the images were a little bigger than I wanted them to be.  However, now they are so large, that it is not possible to see the full extent of the image on the page.  As I require the image on the right hand side of my screen I have to drag the box then re-position the image about 10 times to get it the size I require!
That is why I have found it quicker, but still a PITA, to edit the dimensions.

I design in CAD, and copy a selected screenshot of my final design into my Excel costing sheet.  That way I have an image next to me to ensure I don't miss anything!  The image does not need to be large, just big enough for me to see everything.  It is also a good future reference, it is quicker to go to the Excel sheet to see the design than fire up the CAD package again.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 08:02 PM »
@GillMcC: Thanks for describing the problem as you experience it in your workflow. That makes sense to me now (my apologies, but I didn't understand it very well, before).
I have tried to replicate the problem - using Excel as you do - on my own laptop, but cannot.
My display details - from System Information (Summary --> Advanced window - Hotkey is Ctrl+Alt+S):
Code: Text [Select]
  1. Item -------------Value----------------------------------
  2. Name    Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
  3. PNP Device ID   PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916&SUBSYS_80A4103C&REV_07\3&11583659&0&10
  4. Adapter Type    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, Intel Corporation compatible
  5. Adapter Description     Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
  6. Adapter RAM     1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
  7. Installed Drivers       igdumdim64,igd10iumd64,igd10iumd64,igd12umd64,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32,igd12umd32
  8. Driver Version  21.20.16.4727
  9. INF File        oem125.inf (iSKLD_w10_DS section)
  10. Colour Planes   Not Available
  11. Colour Table Entries    4294967296
  12. Resolution      1366 x 768 x 60 hertz
  13. Bits/Pixel      32
  14. Memory Address  0x92000000-0x92FFFFFF
  15. Memory Address  0xA0000000-0xAFFFFFFF
  16. I/O Port        0x00005000-0x0000503F
  17. IRQ Channel     IRQ 4294967289
  18. Driver  c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\ki124769.inf_amd64_e5e7af49c5a8fe4b\igdkmd64.sys (21.20.16.4727, 10.58 MB (11,093,992 bytes), 2017-10-12 10:44)
  20. Name    NVIDIA GeForce 940M
  21. PNP Device ID   PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1347&SUBSYS_80A4103C&REV_A2\4&2155344C&0&00E0
  22. Adapter Type    GeForce 940M, NVIDIA compatible
  23. Adapter Description     NVIDIA GeForce 940M
  24. Adapter RAM     (2,147,483,648) bytes
  25. Installed Drivers       C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhm.inf_amd64_f0b2a5e1e71031b3\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhm.inf_amd64_f0b2a5e1e71031b3\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhm.inf_amd64_f0b2a5e1e71031b3\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhm.inf_amd64_f0b2a5e1e71031b3\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhm.inf_amd64_f0b2a5e1e71031b3\nvldumd.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhm.inf_amd64_f0b2a5e1e71031b3\nvldumd.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhm.inf_amd64_f0b2a5e1e71031b3\nvldumd.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhm.inf_amd64_f0b2a5e1e71031b3\nvldumd.dll
  26. Driver Version  22.21.13.8569
  27. INF File        oem121.inf (Section028 section)
  28. Colour Planes   Not Available
  29. Colour Table Entries    Not Available
  30. Resolution      Not Available
  31. Bits/Pixel      Not Available
  32. Memory Address  0x93000000-0x93FFFFFF
  33. Memory Address  0x80000000-0x8FFFFFFF
  34. Memory Address  0x90000000-0x91FFFFFF
  35. IRQ Channel     IRQ 4294967285
  36. Driver  c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\nvhm.inf_amd64_f0b2a5e1e71031b3\nvlddmkm.sys (22.21.13.8569, 14.90 MB (15,620,208 bytes), 2017-10-16 01:18)

The key measures there for my laptop display are presumably:
  • Resolution   1366 x 768 x 60 hertz
  • Bits/Pixel   32
...compared to yours for the HP Spectre 360 with a high resolution monitor, which are:
  • Resolution   3840 x 2160 x ?? hertz
  • Bits/Pixel   ??
...the implication being that your screen clips of the same bit of screen display will contain more than twice as much data as mine are likely to contain.
So you are probably stuck with it, unless someone is able to offer up a fix.
An example of the times where this (excessive image size) is a problem for me is when I am inserting images for posts into a DCF discussion thread. I have a relatively speedy workaround for this. I use irfanview in my workflow to rapidly resize the image (as necessary), without it delaying/interrupting my workflow.
This is described here: Re: Modify your screen capture/management tools for optimum efficiency of use.

As you will see, it all hinges around making use of CHS (Clipboard Help & Spell), to realise the potential optimum. Once the penny dropped in my head, all I had to do was to reorganise my workflow to achieve that result.
I say "once the penny dropped", because it had taken me some time to realise what was possible and how it could save my time and improve my overall management of screen captures, and yet it had been staring me in the face for ages.
It's very simple, but I guess it's not really all that obvious.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 04:27 AM »
Image editors here respect/recognise SC's dpi setting. Which again makes me think it's a problem with Excel -- and high resolution monitors -- possibly to do with fonts etc being show at higher percentage (than 100%).

It's possible a search in that direction might find something helpful.
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 12:38 PM »
Image editors here respect/recognise SC's dpi setting. Which again makes me think it's a problem with Excel -- and high resolution monitors -- possibly to do with fonts etc being show at higher percentage (than 100%).

It's possible a search in that direction might find something helpful.

I reckon that is a good point (i.e., it might be some other cause that is not necessarily so obvious) and one that could be worth pursuing. I was reminded of it when I read this (comment cross-posted from another thread):

I've run into this frustrating glitch more than once.  I've tried 4.20.1, 4.21.1, I tried the old zip you linked.
No matter what I do, fresh install, old install, any version now, the screen magnifies immediately after I tell it to "select a region", OR, if I simply hit the print-screen button to capture the entire screen, it captures a zoomed image.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, a single monitor (65" screen). The computer DOES have to use AMD's Radeon scaling ability to scale the screen SMALLER since the graphics card wants to make the image larger than the 1920x1080p borders for some reason. So AMD software changes the "HDMI Scaling" by 6 percent in order to shrink the image to fit the 65" tv.

With that said, I've been using this Screenshot Captor software for a couple years now.  And the software worked GREAT until the recent SC update.  After that, it just started auto-zooming all the time, and I can't seem to find a version that DOESN'T do it now.

EDIT!!! I'm a computer technician... but my brain was really not working earlier (apparently).  I realized that if NONE of your versions of software worked properly, then it wasn't SC that changed, it was something else. And since we're talking about AMD Scaling issues or 'scaling' issues in almost every situation , I uninstalled my AMD video drivers and reinstalled them.  The issue was caused by AMD's own drivers interacting with SC somehow causing the magnification. After driving re-install, works perfectly again.

Mr. Bill

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 09:38 PM »
I've had the same problem. I've done the reinstalling of the amd driver multiple times, no help. What is the fix for this problem ?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 10:04 PM »
you should be able to fix it by changing the DPI setting in SC, just remember it only affects newly captured images after you change the DPI, and it won't work on simple image formats like BMP.

Mr. Bill

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 11:43 AM »
I did change the DPI setting as mentions earlier in this thread. No help at all. The problem seems to be with a higher resolution screen. I started to have this problem when I hooked up my 55" Samsung to it. I checked other programs such as Pick Pick and Microsoft OneNote screen clipper and both programs paste the image just fine. I have been resizing the image to make it paste at a closer size. I thank you for your response. I wasnt expecting one so soon. O, the format is PNG, and I have installed the latest SC.

Mr. Bill

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Sorry for the lack of info. This is on my desktop HP. I have changed my video card and the screen display.
1) Video card is a AMD Radeon R7 200 series. I have tried different drivers. Currently running the 17......
2) The new monitor is a New 55" Samsung 6 series MU 6290 TV. Screen Resolution is 3840 X 2160
These are the only 2 items I have changed other than moving to a new apt.