ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA Data extraction and convert to CSV

(1/4) > >>

magician62:
I have a number of large files which contain multiple records of two columns of data. The first column is effectively a field name, the second the data. There are multiple records in the file so am looking to extract the data to a CSV with field names as the first row.

The delimiter will need to be the @ symbol as the data may contain a comma. I can format the data to have a delimiter after fieldname and after data if it helps.

Original data source is a word doc, which will be exported to txt for processing. Final destination will be Access

To make it a little harder, not all fieldnames exist in every record, but the first one will always be there.

Ideally the snack will allow the user to define the word in the first column which is the start of a record. Not all rows are really needed, so either they can all be captured and later processed to remove un-needed fields and data. Or if a facility for the user to define the fields existed, I can enter the fieldnames as needed for each document type.

Data example

fieldname1@data1
fieldname2@data2
fieldname3@data3
fieldname4@data4
fieldname1@data1
fieldname2@data2
fieldname3@data3
fieldname4@data4
fieldname1@data1
fieldname3@data3
fieldname4@data4

Alternatively I can have each record in a seperate text file, if that would be easier

Hopefully someone can help, as there are several thousand records in the documents

Ath:
A question (and more may follow)
- Is the data-part limited to a single line, or can it be multiple lines?

magician62:
All data single line, and would hazard no more than 200 characters.

wraith808:
So taking your data example, what would the output ideally be?

And you say you have Word and Access- do you have Excel?

magician62:
I do have Excel, and I know I can transpose rows/columns, but as far as I know it may not be possible for this case. I am using Office 2007 just in case new features have appeared since

Output format

fieldname1 fieldname2 fieldname3
data1         data2         data3
data1                          data3
data1         data2         data3

Using the @ symbol for delimitation

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version