topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Christmas is coming! - Consider HELPING your local charities.  (Read 2528 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
"Poverty doesn't take a break at Christmas."
This is a summary post:
  • Started:  2017-11-26 2044hrs (NZT)
  • Updated: 2017-11-26 2349hrs

The purpose here is to collect links from DonationCoderForum denizens to charitable institutions which they sponsor and which have been set up to recycle and co-incidentally help the poor and homeless - in your area.

A lot of people don't realise how easy and helpful it is to donate not just money, but stuff, and also how helpful/supportive it can be to buy stuff at charitable outlets. Please post and contribute your links, and I shall add them to the list below:

New Zealand, Auckland:
  • Auckland City Mission (@IainB local) - deliver to their premises in Hobson Street: Please donate unopened/fresh food containers, clean/undamaged clothing, toys, small chattels, books, working and safe appliances, CDs, DVDs.
    Every Christmas, The Mission makes Christmas bundles for children and families of the poor/homeless, and throughout the year feeds the homeless in their canteen. They have retail "Op-shops" across Auckland which you can help if you not only donate stuff to, but also if you buy stuff from.
    Telephone them to collect heavy chattels/furniture.

• Red Cross, Auckland, Dominion Road, Mt Eden (@IainB local) - list of NZ Red Cross shops. Please donate clean/undamaged clothing, toys, small chattels, books, working and safe appliances, CDs, DVDs.
    They have retail "Op-shops" across Auckland which you can help if you not only donate stuff to, but also if you buy stuff from.

• Salvation Army - next door to Red Cross, Auckland, Dominion Road, Mt Eden (@IainB local) -
    about The Salvation Army (NZ, Fiji & Tonga) Please donate clean/undamaged clothing, toys, small chattels, books, working and safe appliances, CDs, DVDs.
    They have retail "Op-shops" across Auckland which you can help if you not only donate stuff to, but also if you buy stuff from.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:48 AM by IainB »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Christmas is coming! - Consider donating to your local charities.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 03:28 AM »
I was initially inspired to create this thread after being the recipient of, and after thinking about, the selfless Christian generosity - last year - of a particular DCF denizen.
I have passed-on that generosity.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:13 AM by IainB »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Christmas is coming! - Consider HELPING your local charities.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 04:42 AM »
The motivation for creating this thread at this point was:
  • (a) the pressure of the proximity of Christmas, and
  • (b) an internalised, strong desire to "do something more" this Christmas, and
  • (c) something that I read about happening in Sweden.

I shall collect notes on on the latter and post them here, if I can make sense of them.