topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SHORTCUT SHMORTCUT  (Read 12686 times)

altikaka

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SHORTCUT SHMORTCUT
« on: November 22, 2017, 07:47 AM »
Hi Guys.

Does anyone know any way of creating a desktop shortcut (win10) to the shortcut wizard, which is normally accessed by a right click > new > shortcut  route ?
Thanks
altikaka

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: SHORTCUT SHMORTCUT
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 12:02 PM »
@altikaka:
Interesting Q.
I don't know of any way of creating a desktop shortcut (in Win10) to the shortcut wizard (which can be accessed by a right click > New > Shortcut), but it should also be in the explorer shell Send to menu - via right click any file/folder > Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)

The file that is sent to is in the Send to folder, and is named: Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink
 - but the file extension is apparently forcibly hidden via a Registry entry. It seems to be a special kind of Windows/explorer control file link.
If that file is missing from that folder, then this post may help - it suggests how to recreate the file in Windows XP and Vista (seems to work in Win10): How to Restore Missing “Desktop (create shortcut)” Item in Send To Menu in Windows?

Also, in Win10, if you do a search using (say) Everything, for filename Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink, then you will probably turn up several hits on the C: disk, and you can just copy one of them to the Send to folder if it was missing from there.
I don't know how to create that as a fully-functioning shortcut/link in any folder elsewhere though. I mean, I created it elsewhere, but it doesn't function, nor does any shortcut made to it.
I suspect it may be a special Junction point (or similar link) to something. Can't find it in the GodMode folder. Haven't yet found a clue in any searches of forums, but I reckon it's likely to have been documented somewhere.
Curious. Someone else on this forum may know more about it.

Note: This DCF post may be of relevance/interest/use:
DONE: Create Shortcut on the Destop (hopefully not as stupid as it sounds)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:12 PM by IainB »

altikaka

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 02:50 PM »
Thanks IainB for the input.

However it would seem that this approach takes me back, somewhat, to the right click menu ?

Altikaka

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 03:14 PM »
I don't know how to create that as a fully-functioning shortcut/link in any folder elsewhere though. I mean, I created it elsewhere, but it doesn't function, nor does any shortcut made to it.

Really?
I just copied the Desktop (create shortcut) file to the desktop, dropped an exe file on it, and it created a new shortcut on the desktop that worked just fine.

Quick way to get to the folder is Win+R (run dialog) and then type shell:SendTo, press enter and it pops right open.

I had to look it up...so I thought I'd share.. :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 03:52 PM »
Hi Guys.

Does anyone know any way of creating a desktop shortcut (win10) to the shortcut wizard, which is normally accessed by a right click > new > shortcut  route ?
Thanks
altikaka

What is your final purpose?  Do you want to create a shortcut or do you want to bring up the shortcut wizard?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:06 PM »
@Stoic Joker: Yes, it seems to work as a drop-point (or Send to point), but I can't get it to work as a clickable shortcut to bring up the "wizard" - which is what seems to be required in the OP. Can't figure out a way to do that, though I reckon there probably is a way. It seems an awkward requirement to try and meet - I mean, I'm not sure that the Desklink was necessarily intended to be used in that way. It might not be feasible.
One workaround might be as per the link I gave in my response above, but I wasn't sure that was quite what was wanted.
Better definition of requirements needed, I guess.   :tellme:

altikaka

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 04:46 AM »
Hi Guys.

Not sure I can make my request any clearer.

I would like to be able to left click on a desktop shortcut with the end result being that the create shortcut wizard opens.

Sorry if I sound facetious - that is not my intention.
All suggestions are really welcomed and appreciated.

Altikaka

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 06:44 AM »
Hi Guys.

Not sure I can make my request any clearer.

I would like to be able to left click on a desktop shortcut with the end result being that the create shortcut wizard opens.

Sorry if I sound facetious - that is not my intention.
All suggestions are really welcomed and appreciated.

Altikaka

Well, if you have to use the Create Shortcut Wizard, the answer appears to be no, unless you use something like AHK to simulate that process.  From what I've been able to see, they have not exposed that wizard to be invoked programmatically.  After finding that out, I asked my question above- but if nothing else will suffice, I think you're going to be stuck with that.

altikaka

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 08:00 AM »
Thanks wraith808.

Unless anyone else has any ideas, I'll treat your reply as a NO  >:(

altikaka

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 12:33 PM »
@altikaka:
Here we go. Something like this dead simple Autohotkey script looks like it will do what you want.
In haste. Unfamiliar ground for me, but it's nearly there. Works from the Desktop but not yet from any window.
Have to get some sleep but will try to tweak it later. You might be able to sort it before I wake up..

^LButton::   ; Ctrl+ Left mouse button click (change it to whatever you want)
   Send #m{AppsKey}{w}{s} ; #d not quite do it.
   Return