ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

SHORTCUT SHMORTCUT

(1/2) > >>

altikaka:
Hi Guys.

Does anyone know any way of creating a desktop shortcut (win10) to the shortcut wizard, which is normally accessed by a right click > new > shortcut  route ?
Thanks
altikaka

IainB:
@altikaka:
Interesting Q.
I don't know of any way of creating a desktop shortcut (in Win10) to the shortcut wizard (which can be accessed by a right click > New > Shortcut), but it should also be in the explorer shell Send to menu - via right click any file/folder > Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)

The file that is sent to is in the Send to folder, and is named: Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink
 - but the file extension is apparently forcibly hidden via a Registry entry. It seems to be a special kind of Windows/explorer control file link.
If that file is missing from that folder, then this post may help - it suggests how to recreate the file in Windows XP and Vista (seems to work in Win10): How to Restore Missing “Desktop (create shortcut)” Item in Send To Menu in Windows?

Also, in Win10, if you do a search using (say) Everything, for filename Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink, then you will probably turn up several hits on the C: disk, and you can just copy one of them to the Send to folder if it was missing from there.
I don't know how to create that as a fully-functioning shortcut/link in any folder elsewhere though. I mean, I created it elsewhere, but it doesn't function, nor does any shortcut made to it.
I suspect it may be a special Junction point (or similar link) to something. Can't find it in the GodMode folder. Haven't yet found a clue in any searches of forums, but I reckon it's likely to have been documented somewhere.
Curious. Someone else on this forum may know more about it.

Note: This DCF post may be of relevance/interest/use:
DONE: Create Shortcut on the Destop (hopefully not as stupid as it sounds)

altikaka:
Thanks IainB for the input.

However it would seem that this approach takes me back, somewhat, to the right click menu ?

Altikaka

Stoic Joker:
I don't know how to create that as a fully-functioning shortcut/link in any folder elsewhere though. I mean, I created it elsewhere, but it doesn't function, nor does any shortcut made to it.-IainB (November 22, 2017, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Really?
I just copied the Desktop (create shortcut) file to the desktop, dropped an exe file on it, and it created a new shortcut on the desktop that worked just fine.

Quick way to get to the folder is Win+R (run dialog) and then type shell:SendTo, press enter and it pops right open.

I had to look it up...so I thought I'd share.. :)

wraith808:
Hi Guys.

Does anyone know any way of creating a desktop shortcut (win10) to the shortcut wizard, which is normally accessed by a right click > new > shortcut  route ?
Thanks
altikaka
-altikaka (November 22, 2017, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

What is your final purpose?  Do you want to create a shortcut or do you want to bring up the shortcut wizard?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version