ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

VMware Workstation 14 Pro 40% off today

<< < (2/2)

mwb1100:
I've licensed VMware Workstation for quite some time now and have a license for 12.x.  I'm probably not going to upgrade to 14 (they skipped v13 - I assume for superstition reasons).  There seems to be only a few new features that as far as I can tell are all geared toward corporate use except for adding  support for newer CPUs.

So unless I upgrade my CPU to something that v12 doesn't support, I'd be paying for nothing useful.  I speculate that this lack of useful new features is due to a combination of:

1) VMware 12.x is already pretty feature packed
    2) VMware laid off a large chunk of the workstation development team a year or so ago.

I don't have much experience with VirtualBox, but I've heard that it works pretty well.  My expectation is that v12 will serve me for a long while, and when it comes up short I plan to try out VirtualBox.

That said - I'm really happy with VMware - I use it every single day and have for a long time.  I just don't feel a compelling reason to pay for an upgrade.

mouser:
I agree with the sentiment about not needing to upgrade -- old versions of VmWare hold up just fine.

Ath:
old versions of VmWare hold up just fine.
-mouser (November 21, 2017, 07:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, compatibility with the newest Windows editions has been troublesome for older VMWare versions, and now especially the latest Win10 CU and FCU updates have proven to have lots of backward compatibility issues, upgrading could be important/useful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version