topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Images pasted into onenote are half size  (Read 32056 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Images pasted into onenote are half size
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 11:47 AM »
...Is it the way the image is being copied into the clipboard?
-absoblogginlutely (June 13, 2018, 07:20 AM)
Actually, that's a rather interesting Q.
I mean, the PASTE function (with formatting) should work, but, if it doesn't, then what is in the clipboard could conceivably make a difference.
The Q then might be: What have you got in the clipboard?

I always use @mouser's CHS (Clipbord Help & Spell). I also use AHK (Autohotkey), and I can paste the last item copied to the Clipboard as either:
  • (a) RTF (Rich Text Format) - which pastes whatever was last in the Clipboard (including image(s) and/or text), AS-IS., or
  • (b) plain text (just the text, with no images or formatting)

There's a lot of stuff (formatting and images) in the Clipboard that actually never gets to be saved in CHS, once a new COPY/CUT is made to the Clipboard.

There are a couple of ways I know of that enable the user to save and analyse or "see" what has actually been going through the Clipboard:
(i) NirSoft Clipboardic - <https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/clipboardic.html>
(ii) The last Beta of NoteFrog <http://notefrogblog.com/?p=689>. (Now apparently back under development).

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 12:35 PM »
Clipboardic shows the following - the first entry is Screenshotcaptor automatically copying the image to the clipboard -
The 2-5 entries are Snagit pasting entries.
Not sure why Snagit copies 3 times but the type of media looks to be the same

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Well, we know that the possible fix that I mentioned above actually worked and was persistent. But we don't know why it ceased to work the next day or since. So something must have been changed.
We also know that the problem is not experienced by all ON users - e.g., it simply ain't a problem for me and I can't replicate it.

Questions:
  • Is the ON Notebook where you implemented the fix the same Notebook as where you are now experiencing the problem again? If it's a different Notebook, then the test needs to continue with the Notebook where you implemented the fix.
  • Is that Notebook on OneDrive or the client PC, or has it been moved from one to the other?
  • Is the Notebook in the OneNote 2010-2016 format? (Right-click it and look in the Properties).

Meanwhile, I shall play around with some images in ON ...

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 05:03 AM »
Thanks for the continuing work on this Ian. I can't get the original fix to work on most/any of the notebooks now - I'll have to try it on the original notebook on Monday when I'm back at work.  I have tons of Onenote notebooks that I use - most of them are (and have been for almost a year) on Sharepoint. They are 2016 versions - I'll run some checks on a variety of notebooks next week and report back.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 02:44 PM »
...most of them [OneNote Notebooks] are (and have been for almost a year) on Sharepoint ...
-absoblogginlutely (June 15, 2018, 05:03 AM)
Ah, now that might be significant, I'm not sure.
Ideally (to maintain consistency/integrity), you probably need to ensure that you continue the testing using the exact same same client and Notebook as was originally used for the successful fix.
Just checking: You are using OneNote running within MS Office Pro on that client - right?

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2018, 02:43 PM »
I checked on Monday - yes the onenote is 2010-2016 version and it's the same notebook that I was using where it worked for a week or so. I generate weekly reports for a status meeting and copy/paste web pages into the notebook so we have a historical record of stats for each week. So it's the same procedure every week.
I checked on a brand new notebook stored locally and a variety of other onenotes, most of which are on Onedrive and all generate the same symptoms.
It's weird that Snagit works correctly but ScreenshotCaptor doesn't with the same capturing of the region.
As it's the office365 version of Office, the client might have upgraded to a different build. I just ran an update to get the latest version and we're now running at version 1708 Build 8431.2270 Click-to-Run.

In case it matters after post capture I have play capture sound, auto select active window, but not if full width/height, Filename Balloon tip, add border and add Drop shadow to image.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Well, the only thing I can think is that the newest upgrade version has somehow put the bug back in, or something.
I think you have checked everything else.
How annoying!

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2018, 07:32 PM »
Yep. @mouser, do you have any ideas why screenshotccaptor is appearing as a different format on the clipboard to snsgit?

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2018, 08:37 AM »
So this is now working this week oddly enough. The only thing that has changed is a possible office365 update (Now running Version 1803 build 9126.2259 CTR) and I also uninstalled Snagit.  I'm really hoping it was the office update and they don't break it in another update.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2018, 09:16 PM »
@absoblogginlutely: This sounds rather like a classic state of minor instability in an operational system that is in some form of constant dynamic change. (Not a steady state.)