ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Scripting vs. Programming

<< < (9/11) > >>

Eóin:
kakarukeys, I'd say you're pretty much right but I'd remove the need for object oriented constructs. All a language need to be able to do is manipulated some sort of data and that's enough.

Though quoting Wikipedia is dubious it's article on Programming language gets right to the heart of the matter. The simple fact is that scripting and programming are the same thing. And HTML is not a scripting language

Tuxman:
scripting and programming are the same thing
--- End quote ---
Depends. A script (the result of scripting) is not necessarily a program (the result of programming).

(Besides, there's still application scripting, like Vim or Irssi scripts. Try to program these.)

CodeTRUCKER:
You know, this is really good practice for arguing about... Ford and ChevyAs a courtesy for any non-USA residents that may not understand this here is a little background.

Ford and Chevrolet ("Chevy") are major manufacturers of automobiles in the USA and elsewhere.  Given attitude in human nature of "mine is better," long-standing rivalries developed between Ford and Chevy owners about which is better.  Every year there was some racing big shot bragging about how their "Ford" was faster than all the "Chevies" only to be beaten by a Chevy the next year, yada, yada, yada. 

The fact that this battle still rages on simply means that neither brand was "better."  They were (are?) both good cars.

I have driven and owned both and the only real difference I ever noted, besides styling, was that one cranked the window down with a clockwise motion and the other with a counter-clockwise rotation.  When I was a young stallion and owned a Ford, Ford was "Boss!"  When I owned a Chevrolet, my Chevy was King of the Road.  When I owned an older Honda Civic, I had fun! :D
A friend called it a "pregnant roller-skate" since it was so small, but I had a blast with that little car!  :-*

The only useful reason I can see for even going through this exercise is to eliminate ambiguity when someone says, "program" or "script."  This gets everyone on the same page and eliminates any confusion which enhances productivity.  It should also reduce stress. 

Given this is something of a quasi "Ford and Chevy" debate, perhaps we might be able to simplify it, just for convenience (and our sanity).  After reading and rereading this series of posts I see one common thread.  So, I submit the following...

If it is a list (series or parallel) of coded instructions which uses "variables" (volatile locations in RAM that can be changed, directly or indirectly, by the programmer's action it is a "Programming" language, regardless of whether it is "compiled" or "interpreted."

If it is a list series (series or parallel) of coded instructions which does not use "variables" (volatile locations in RAM that can be changed, directly or indirectly, by the programmer's action) it is a "Scripting" language, regardless of whether it is "compiled" or "interpreted."

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer here, but I don't get what all the hub-bub is about?  :huh:

Veign:
If it is a list series (series or parallel) of coded instructions which does not use "variables" (volatile locations in RAM that can be changed, directly or indirectly, by the programmer's action) it is a "Scripting" language, regardless of whether it is "compiled" or "interpreted."
-CodeTRUCKER (December 09, 2009, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Scripting Languages use variables - example: VBScript.

Tuxman:
vimscript: let myvar="hello world"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version