ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Scripting vs. Programming

<< < (6/11) > >>

f0dder:
Also, compiled doesn't necessarily mean "machine code" - think java, dotNET, perl/parrot et cetera.

Scripting languages can be compiled rather than interpreted, and traditional compiled languages can be interpreted as well (though not very fun for something like C++).

I still haven't seen a decent description of the difference between "script" and "program", or what distinguishes "scripting language" from other languages. In my mind it has to do with how the "environment" feels like, and how it's typically used. But it's hard to draw any lines... A thing like Python can be (and is) used for anything from little scripts to applications (MusicBrainz picard) to games (EVE online), etc.

Veign:
Should have read something like a scripting language vs. compiled language.  That's how that definition should have come across.  Totally messed that definition up.

I end up typing something and by the time I get to the end I forget the intent of what I am typing  :) .

jgpaiva:
I end up typing something and by the time I get to the end I forget the intent of what I am typing  :) .
-Veign (January 20, 2007, 11:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
So true. That happens to me a lot ;)
Yet, i think you're almost there with your definition.
I interpret a script as a sequence of instructions that intentds to automate something that was supposed to be done by the user instead. Something that aims at making that task something as simple as launching the script.
It's not an absolute definition, since for example php is called a scripting language and doesn't really fit into this description, and other stuff that are programs do fit it, but i think this description is as close as it gets.

rkarman:
well, i think we're trying to find the theory of everything here. the one formula that describes the whole universe (of programming). practically seen the words were made up years ago and do not have the same meaning anymore. like low and high level language for instance. a dotnet (virtual) machine has msil as low level language, this language is typesafe and is object oriented though. provides full support for scope visibility, garbage collection, etc... is that low level???

now scripting vs programming. it used to be glossaries, macro's and scripting were automation "scripts" that would execute a chain of tasks in a system. this could have limited programming features with it. today however with scripting languages like javascript you have an almost full blown OO language which delivers features that .net doesn't even have (superclassing). it is like dotnet, compiled to intermediate code (jit compiled) and then executed at a speed comparable to a java application. jes javascript even has reflection... now i ask you, is that a scripting language???

now having explaind that any simple definition is not valid since it can never match the past and the current situations, today the closest definition to a scripting language is i.m.h.o.

"a language that is not compile time type checked and a language that runs directly from it's source code. (compiling + executing in 1 go or interpreting)"

this is however a very poor definition since the origional basic languages would be a scripting languages with this definition, it is the closest (simple) match though that i can think of.

rkarman:
Thanks for the explanations. But is there a point at which a script becomes a program? f0dder makes a good point with javascript. The line is gray from my standpoint.
-zridling (July 24, 2006, 05:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

this is not a grey line at all, when a developer says that it is a script, then it is a script. when the developer says it's a program, then it's a program. it is what it is said to be by the creator, simple as that 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version