ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Scripting vs. Programming

(1/11) > >>

zridling:
Does a well-defined, efficient script merit the title of a program (merely a non-compiled one)?  Here at DonationCoder.com we have brilliant coders and scripters. I'm seeing more and more amazing things using AutoHotkey, PHP, and Perl scripts that are as useful as many programs I've used. What's the difference between the two?

mouser:
a script is a program, i dont see how you could argue otherwise.  someone writing a script is programming.

if you wanted to differentiate things further you could talk about the complexity and size of the script.  the smaller and simpler, the less comparable it is to a large complicated program.

some programming languages are made for short scripts and are not as suitable for first class object oriented efficient execution, and are designed more for quick and dirty short macro commands in a program.  you wouldn't call someone who writes 3 line macros in ultraedit a "coder", but its a continuum.

there was a time when there was a clear distinction between the "real" programming languages like lisp/c/pascal/asm and scripting languages, which were program-specific simplistic macro systems, or things like the dos .bat language.

but the scripting languages of today, which include perl, python, ahk, are full fledged first class programming languages.

Rover:
I let's think about it this way:
Programming = Cooking.

Scripting = Short order cook
Application Coding = fine food chef

Easy.  :D

jgpaiva:
My opinion is that, as for the languages, it works something like this:
-A scripting language is easy, a programming language is usually complex.
-A scripting language is fast which means you can code something interesting in just a bunch of lines. A programming language takes a bunch of includes, libraries, and at least some tens of lines to make something interesting.
-A scripting language is usually very limited, it's aimed at something very specific.Taking the example of ahk, it's mainly aimed at user interface. A programming language will allow you to do almost anything, if you have enough patience ;).

IMO, the main difference is in the last detail i mentioned. The more limited it is, the easier it can be handled and learned.

Basicly, it's like Rover said.
Fast food vs. Restaurant food.
Fast food is good, cheap and easy, but it's not exactly the best place to have a business meeting   :huh:

JavaJones:
Hmm. I think of a "script" as something that
A: requires some other app to run it (in the case of AHK it can bundle that thing with the script itself, so it blurs the lines...)
B: Is not compiled, therefore the "executable" version is human readible
C: Generally does not have its own GUI

AHK scripts often fit into all of the above whereas PHP apps, for example, often do not. I suppose for me a script is less a stand-alone useful thing, it is usually something that operates directly on other things - other apps or files. But ultimately it's hard to draw fine and absolute distinctions. To each their own, or something. ;)

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version