topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: fortnite...  (Read 5928 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
fortnite...
« on: November 15, 2017, 07:19 PM »
<rant>
anyone playing fortnite?

gotta say this is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played.  Learning curve is relatively simple but the reality is quite steep

It could be fun, but there's no soft point of entry to learn tactics and weapons.

After 70 matches I've only had 20 kills - I've had 6 top 10 finishes, and on most of them I've gotten to that point without having actually seen another player.  On at least 2 I've gotten to that point armed only with the most basic pistol or machine gun and a handful of bandages which seriously doesn't cut it when you eventually do see someone...ok, they pretty much always see me, not so much me seeing them

I really want to enjoy this game, but it seriously wants to make me smash something
</rant>

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: fortnite...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Link?

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 07:43 PM »
https://www.google.c...Vdw4BdYM0gmGLSe9Ag0_

its a 'free' Moderately MOPG - there are 2 parts, the 'Battle Royale' is a 100 player deathmatch ala PUBG

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 12:02 AM »
EDIT: I had this response written in a tab hours ago and apparently forgot to hit submit, and now there are replies which say some of the same stuff. :-[

You must be talking about Fortnite's new F2P Battle Royale mode (as opposed to the co-op survival campaign).

I don't play it. I'm not really into PvP stuff. But I've been hearing about Fortnite (the co-op version) from someone for a few months now. He really likes it. He also seems to like Battle Royale as well. But I think maybe he's also a fan of Playerunknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG), which, as I understand it, has very similar gameplay elements to Battle Royale.

The co-op campaign looks pretty fun to me. But I've got a huge backlog of other games I'd rather play if I have time, and I've heard that even the co-op part is going F2P next year, so I'm holding out for that.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 04:56 PM »
yep, thats the one.  It was probably a pointless post but I was just so frustrated I needed to vent a bit

Its quite a good game for if you're an FPS enthusiast, but as I said unless you're an expert out of the box it can be a hard grind (it can take longer to go through the staging process that it takes to get taken out, and having to do that over and over gets tedious...).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 11:00 PM »
Despite my declarations less than a month ago that I wasn't intending on getting the game, I just got Fortnite and spent a few hours playing the co-op campaign. It's pretty fun. Seems like there's lots to do. I look forward to getting more into it and seeing what else it has to offer. My worry is that it won't be long before the "loot box" style rewards (which encourage IAPs) will make me feel like progress has stuck and I will hate playing. Hopefully the fact that this mode isn't F2P will mean that the push for IAPs won't be obscene. But if recent EA games are any indication...

But this video I just found doesn't instill a lot of confidence:

And I still haven't tried the PVP Battle Royale mode.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:17 PM by Deozaan »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 01:27 PM »
I finally gave Battle Royale mode a try. I only did the 50v50 matches, so I probably didn't get the "true" experience. Of the 6-7 games I played, my team won all but one. And I even managed to survive until the end of a match or two. But often I was killed within the first few minutes and I stuck around as an observer just to see how my team fared.

It's definitely not for me. And I'm certain I wouldn't like the "every man for himself" normal mode.

But I'm finding the co-op Save the World mode of Fortnite to be really enjoyable.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 01:19 AM by Deozaan »