topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Recommended Windows 10 app - "Dynamic Theme"  (Read 3794 times)

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Recommended Windows 10 app - "Dynamic Theme"
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:39 AM »
I found this app today and thought I'd share it here.

The problem which I was trying to solve was the removal of the click-bait captions on the Windows 10 lock screen pictures. Windows downloads these (often beautiful) images for the lock screen but then covers them with these little spammy captions/links like "You'll never believe where this island is..." and baloney like that. I thought i might find a registry key or something to get rid of these, but I failed—it seems the only option was to stop using Spotlight, instead choosing my own pictures for the lock screen.

Until I found the app (I'm using the shortened word intentionally) "Dynamic Theme". It's available, free, from the Windows App Store. It has no ads or anything.

What this app does is download (from somewhere...) either the Bing or Windows Spotlight image each day, and set it as your lock screen or desktop background. So it acts as a normal picture (indeed if you check in the windows settings it is set to "Picture") This means no more silly captions; the ability to set these pictures to the desktop wallpaper is a nice bonus that I've enjoyed. The program will also archive the downloaded pictures in a folder of your choice, if you wish.

You can try it by searching in the windows store (or just typing "Dynamic Theme" in the start menu), or by going to its page on microsoft.com.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommended Windows 10 app - "Dynamic Theme"
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:57 AM »
This is like my Chrome Wire [ http://vdsfreak.com/...25670970/chrome-wire ] and Lock Screen Reflection [ http://vdsfreak.com/...ost/156133535205/lsr ] apps

:) :Thmbsup:

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:22 AM »
I don't believe either of your apps do anything to the lock screen, or I'd switch :)

I just found another feature, if you like the photography: Dynamic Theme lets you scroll back through past "Spotlight" images to find any you'd like to save, even if you missed them.

And I wanted to direct-link the author's website (in French)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 03:38 PM »
The problem which I was trying to solve was the removal of the click-bait captions on the Windows 10 lock screen pictures. Windows downloads these (often beautiful) images for the lock screen but then covers them with these little spammy captions/links like "You'll never believe where this island is..." and baloney like that.

How to Disable Ads on Your Windows 10 Lock Screen.

and/or enable the press Ctrl+Alt+Delete requirement - This removes the 3 anchor text dots also.

I loved the MS Lock Screen pics, but hated the annoying/distracting messages on the pictures - So the text is gone now.

Folder path to LS pictures: C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Assets

Copy elsewhere and rename all to *.jpg to save/use/view normally.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 03:47 PM »
Copy elsewhere and rename all to *.jpg to save/use/view normally.

I happened upon that page while trying to solve this problem--it's pretty worthless, only describing how to switch from Windows Spotlight to using your own pictures. You've found a way to relocate the lock screen pictures to use them as a slide show. The app I've just found does that same thing, automatically, and continually downloads and displays new images.

I'm no fan of doing anything at all through the Windows Store, nor of having programs running all the time. However this one seems to work really well, with minimal fuss and with minimal overhead (currently using .1 MB RAM and no CPU).