topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Portuguese Translation Question  (Read 3173 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Portuguese Translation Question
« on: October 23, 2017, 03:11 PM »
So I've been spending a lot of time translating Portuguese code comments into English so I can so I can figure out what is going on with a project that has become a rather agonizing nightmare. Many times when the comments - which are in all caps - are translated one or more words will come out in all caps, never all words, just some words...the rest are in lower case after translation. So I'm wondering is there something linguistically that is implying emphasis on certain words?

Example (as cut from code):
// SE ALGUM VALOR JÁ TIVER SIDO APLICADO AO TOTAL DA COMPRA O BALANCE SERÁ IGUAL AO NOVO VALOR MENOS O QUE JÁ FOI PAGO

Translated:
// If any value has already been applied to the TOTAL purchase the BALANCE will be equal to the new value minus what has already been paid

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Portuguese Translation Question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 03:13 PM »
you at least need a comma:
// If any value has already been applied to the TOTAL purchase, the BALANCE will be equal to the new value minus what has already been paid

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Portuguese Translation Question
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 06:59 AM »
you at least need a comma:
// If any value has already been applied to the TOTAL purchase, the BALANCE will be equal to the new value minus what has already been paid

Perhaps, but I'm just pasting it like I found it ... And trying to understand what's happening with the translation of it.

Although I did notice after posting it that the two (all caps) words in question are also the only two words in the original text that are already in English.

*Shrug* ...This whole project is driving me up a wall.