Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 24, 2014, 11:55:27 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: One of our posts is missing  (Read 3421 times)
rjbull
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 07, 2006, 08:35:16 AM »

I remembered an illuminating post by the magisterial CarolHaynes on how to cancel subscriptions from companies that make cancellation excessively difficult.  I didn't seem to have a local copy, so I went looking for it using DC's search feature.  I couldn't find it, despite a fairly determined attempt.  CarolHaynes remembers the message herself but also couldn't find it, and  points out that she thinks SMF has been occasionally losing messages.  Obviously searching wouldn't turn up a message that was no longer in existence.

So...  has anyone else seen this problem?  The search facility may not be very good, but it should have turned up something.  Has anyone else found that posts they know they made have quietly disappeared?

nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 09:53:11 AM »

the times i thought things had been deleted because i couldn't find them using the search feature were always found if i went through my actual post list - very time consuming i must say.

the overall conclusion (for me) is that the search function doesn't appear to be perfect. the posts are there (at least the ones i was looking for) but the search couldn't locate them.

also, i did use search keywords that were definitely in the post i was looking for.
kimmchii
Honorary Member

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 10:00:50 AM »

you can also use google search:

site:www.donationcoder.com "cancel subscriptions"
or
site:www.donationcoder.com cancel subscriptions

there is no such post.

If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 10:03:14 AM »

smf search leaves much to be desired; they say they are improving it in the upcoming release.

nevertheless, for this and other reasons i have decided to add a new feature; you will soon be able to check a box in your options to have the forum email you a copy of any post you make, with link back to it on the forum.  i'm guessing many of us would like that, for our records, for backup, for searching, etc.
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 10:15:50 AM »

you can also use google search:

site:www.donationcoder.com "cancel subscriptions"
or
site:www.donationcoder.com cancel subscriptions

there is no such post.

There may not be such a post now, but there was once.  True, I can't remember the exact form of words.  But if the post was deleted, it won't be there for Google to search, and may have disappeared from Google's cache.

Nobody could expect CarolHaynes to go through her post list one by one - not with 2482 posts and counting...   ohmy

<Later edit>

kimmchi,

Tried Google search again with keywords that did appear in the original post, and it found it OK.  Good idea, thanks.  The problem is remembering the right keywords...

« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 11:02:27 AM by rjbull » Logged
Ampa
Charter Member

I am cute ;)

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 10:20:22 AM »

Here is the link you are looking for...

http://www.donationcoder....ic=4088.msg28858#msg28858

It is part of the thread of interesting links by Thunder7.

Oh and here is that article it points to...

http://www.boingboing.net...how_to_cancel_a_serv.html

Ampa
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:23:32 AM by Ampa » Logged
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 10:31:06 AM »

Here is the link you are looking for...

http://www.donationcoder....ic=4088.msg28858#msg28858

It is part of the thread of interesting links by Thunder7.

Ampa

THAT'S THE ONE!!!    Grin

Ampa,

How did you find/remember it?  I couldn't use just the word "cancel" because it threw up far too many hits.  I see the post didn't contain any of the other words I tried, so no wonder search didn't find it.

Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 11:15:14 AM »

Thanks - I did do an 'advanced' search on my user id and the keyword 'cancel' (amongst others) that were in the post and it didn't appear in the results list. Strange as you would think search routines are pretty basic things to implement on a database (it was an exercise I used to teach quite early on in classes when I taught programming).

By the way Mouser has replaced the Search button on the button bar (Cody took it away for a while for retuning) which now takes you direct to the SMF advanced search (much use it may do you - but you never know it might work occasionally!).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.033s | Server load: 0.16 ]