topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Opening a file/URL by passing as parameter to application doesn't work for me.  (Read 4154 times)

redsnapper

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

I want to access an excel file from network, but if I use the notation "excel.exe file_url" FARR doesn't give any reaction.

e.g.  "excel.exe \\computer\share\file.xlsx"

if I run this command in command prompt, the file opens successfully. If I omit excel.exe FARR can call the file successfully, but for some cases, like the below case, I need this function:

I want to open www.google.com but specifically with chrome: (IE is default browser)

chrome.exe www.google.com
chrome.exe http://google.com

etc. none of them work.  If I put the address in double quotes it gives an error ( bad invocation of...)

How should I achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ben.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
It's a bit confusing -- it's because FARR doesn't know that you are telling it commandline parameters.  Perhaps it should be smart enough to figure that out..

The workaround is the explicit method of specifying commandline parameters, from the help file topic on "Passing commandline parameters..":

You can now pass commandline arguments to any launched program by typing "++ any args here" at the end of your search string.
For example:
ping.exe ++ donationcoder.com -n 2

So in your case:
chrome.exe ++http://google.com

The easier solution if you are doing this kind of thing quite a bit might be to create an alias that knows that when you type
chrome [ANYTHING HERE]
It knows you want to launch chrome.exe with the url passed.
This would have the advantage of being instant and not requiring any searching.

redsnapper

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for your fast response :o, unfortunately it still didn't work that way. Same no reaction.
I will take a look at the part of documentation that you've mentioned.

Thanks,

redsnapper

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

Unfortunately it seems the function doesn't work as documented, at least in my environment. Do you have any other suggestions?
(Windows 8.1 64 bit)

Regards,

Ben.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Have you tried using an alias?
Can you explain a little bit more about what's not working? Can you try other applications to see if it's just chrome thats failing to launch or something else going on? I tested here and it seems to be working.

antekgla

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • SRTFilter
    • Donate to Member
What happens if you put the the full path to excel.exe.
Like for example:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" "\\computer\share\file.xlsx"

Note the double quotes in every part of the sentence. The full path to excel.exe in double quotes and the full path to your excel file in double quotes.
SRTFilter Automatic Subtitle Editor & Renamer
Dualcopy If you use Teracopy or Fastcopy this can be interesting   - My N.A.N.Y 2018 Entry

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When you say that you're putting it in... where are you putting it?  In the search box?