topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: World Wide Web Consortium abandons consensus, standardizes DRM, EFF resigns  (Read 8289 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
In July, the Director of the World Wide Web Consortium overruled dozens of members' objections to publishing a DRM standard without a compromise to protect accessibility, security research, archiving, and competition.

EFF appealed the decision, the first-ever appeal in W3C history, which concluded last week with a deeply divided membership. 58.4% of the group voted to go on with publication, and the W3C did so today, an unprecedented move in a body that has always operated on consensus and compromise. In their public statements about the standard, the W3C executive repeatedly said that they didn't think the DRM advocates would be willing to compromise, and in the absence of such willingness, the exec have given them everything they demanded.

[...]

EFF no longer believes that the W3C process is suited to defending the open web. We have resigned from the Consortium, effective today. Below is our resignation letter

Read more here: https://boingboing.n...eatures-for-all.html

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the link  :Thmbsup:

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Scary turn of events. I wonder what's behind the W3C bowing to the corporate overlords in such a way.
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Scary turn of events. I wonder what's behind the W3C bowing to the corporate overlords in such a way.

Jahandar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
One thing I didn't realize when first hearing about this is that EFF only just became a W3C member recently for the purpose of having a voice in this decision. It kind of puts their leaving into context, as it would probably have happened anyway, after this issue was decided one way or another. (For the record, I think the EFF does a lot of great work)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

" In their public statements about the standard, the W3C executive repeatedly said that they didn't think the DRM advocates would be willing to compromise, and in the absence of such willingness, the exec have given them everything they demanded."

So if you don't compromise, you win?!

:'(