topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: extra window functions  (Read 16115 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: extra window functions
« on: June 27, 2005, 12:43 PM »
You know when you right click the button of a running task or the little titlebar icon and you get a dropdown that says Restore, Move, Size, etc? I want to add functions to that menu, specifically Move to Center (for those annoying times when I get a window half-off the *$%@#&% screen, and 'Move' doesn't %&$#@ work, BTW) but perhaps add calls to those third-party programs that do roll-up or vertical/horizontal maximize and other fancy window tricks. I realize that there probably is a prog that does this but I've not been able to find it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: extra window functions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 01:46 PM »
i use this freeware tool called "Discover" to move windows off screen back on screen:
http://www.geocities...2/main/freeware.html

i used it for my laptop a lot. simple easy.

but now back to your idea-
i have started investigating the possibility of making a program that can add items to windows menus and stuff - part of a larger utility.  it's not going to be for a while though, but i hope you'll be around when we get it done to make suggestions.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 03:43 PM »
Thanks for the link, although I must say Powerpro does the same (and about 2 million other things...) and since it is always running, that's what I use. I am excited to hear you've got something in the works, I think a lot of folks will find it useful. Out of curiosity, is this a long-running bug with Windows (author of Discover says it's peculiar to NT/95) or does it still occur with 'modern' Windows? I suppose it could happen by 'user error' (dragging something off-screen accidentally or when changing position of taskbar) and so still needs addressed now and then, but thought I'd ask. I know I ALWAYS have to use it when I run VirtuaWin and run the 'options'... the options window is the lower right-hand corner sticking out of the NW corner of my screen. (and I'm on NT4...)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 04:19 PM »
do you have multimonitor?

it's a common problem with apps not designed for multimonitor that when they try to display a dialog centered on screen it ends up half off.

other times it happens is when the last time it was on screen you had a different resolution.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 12:00 PM »
Nope and Nope. One monitor and I haven't changed resolutions since the boss got me a flat screen :)
I just found out that Powerpro's Gui control allows me to right-click drag from any piece of the window. So as long as I have one corner, I can move that bugger... (I fear I am becoming highly dependent on PowerPro, but that may be a good thing...)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 12:32 PM »
who was it that was going to write up a little something on Powerpro?

our new mini-user-review section of the forum would be an ideal place for it
https://www.donation...index.php?board=42.0

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 01:07 PM »

Does anyone actually search before posting here?  Do I need to give lessons on how to search?  (I am not being sarcastic, I am serious.  It does take practice.)

Here are some existing utilities that do exactly what was requested:

http://www.actualtools.com/

The big boy of the collection is Actual Window Manager, but there are a few freeware offerings that do bits and pieces of its functionality.

« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 04:55 PM »
who was it that was going to write up a little something on Powerpro?
I don't recall,
our new mini-user-review section of the forum would be an ideal place for it
https://www.donation...index.php?board=42.0
but I put one up anyways.
Actualtools looks really very useful, but I couldn't find any freeware bits mentioned. 'sides, Powerpro does a lot of those things except the titlebar buttons, although it can 'paint' bar buttons on the title bar. They look a tad out-of-place but get the job done.

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 06:01 PM »
Ugh geez, that thing again?

I was just referring you to software that accomplished what you want.  Actual Window Manager does all that.  It's not free, though.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 09:55 PM »
I purchased Actual Window Manager about 4 months ago. It is a great, reliable app. Be careful if you do decide to purchase it as I had to get the author to guaruntee me updates for 6 months. Their policy for software upgrades are, if you buy at version 3.6 and the next major version is 4.0 (three months later), there is an upgrade fee. I find this to be unforgivable with software developers. The nice thing for Actual Tools software is that I am allowed to use a copy on my main PC, HTPC and my laptop (it's like the license for ONE USER approach, which is the way it should be for people who have many PC's they use). I was a former customer of Calendarscope (among other softwares), which wanted an upgrade fee every year, but they rarely do much in the way of consistent development, so I said no thanks.