topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ytsearch - A command line youtube searcher / streamer / downloader  (Read 19776 times)

Sjc1000

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's that time of the year again huh? Well, here goes.

Application Name ytsearch
Version 0.3.7
Short Description A commnad line youtube searcher / streamer / downloader
Supported OSes Linux, maybe others
Web Page https://gitlab.com/sj1k/ytsearch
Download Link https://gitlab.com/s.../ytsearch#installing
System Requirements
  • Python3
  • mpv (or another media player that can handle streams)
Author Me!

Description
This program is a simple command line UI interface for a youtube search and streamer.
You can listen to youtube by playing only audio (This option does not get the video resource, so its lighter for bad connections) or watch it with video and audio.
It also supports downloading via the program.

Features
See: https://gitlab.com/s...ch#todo-list-roadmap

Screenshots
search_results.pngytsearch - A command line youtube searcher / streamer / downloader
search_results_cached.pngytsearch - A command line youtube searcher / streamer / downloader
search_results_playing.pngytsearch - A command line youtube searcher / streamer / downloader

Usage
https://gitlab.com/sj1k/ytsearch#index
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:16 PM by Sjc1000 »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ytsearch - A command line youtube searcher / streamer / downloader
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 05:20 AM »
Oh Linux OS !

Wonderful !

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 11:09 AM »
Oh Linux OS !

Wonderful !

yes, I'm envious again..
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 01:18 PM »
Looks useful. :Thmbsup:

Is this like a 2.0 of your last year's NANY release? What's the difference between the two?

Sjc1000

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 06:33 PM »
They are rather similar, However this is another project.

The other one was made to keep track of certain youtube users' videos. This one doesn't do that. It just searches youtube for queries you input.

This one is a whole lot more mature too, you can listen / watch the video right from the program, the other one you couldn't.

edit: Wonder over to the IRC if you want a more in-depth discussion of the differences. ;)

cschw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 10:23 PM »
I installed this on an Ubuntu MATE machine.  Very nice!   :up:

A couple of things that I had to do before using this:  1) find ytsearch (wasn't automatically added to path) and 2) dig into the source to find where cache was kept.  The keybindings are fairly intuitive, but a couple didn't work as expected...still getting used to it.

I really like how quickly this can search and download videos.  And it's extremely easy to queue and play cached videos.  However, this seems like something I would use primarily to build an audio library.  It's simple enough to play audio from the cached videos, but space could be saved by just downloading audio instead of video.

If you are taking wish list requests, it would be nice to be nice to have a keybinding for downloading audio.

Thanks for sharing this!   :Thmbsup:

Sjc1000

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 05:24 PM »
I installed this on an Ubuntu MATE machine.  Very nice!   :up:

A couple of things that I had to do before using this:  1) find ytsearch (wasn't automatically added to path) and 2) dig into the source to find where cache was kept.  The keybindings are fairly intuitive, but a couple didn't work as expected...still getting used to it.

I really like how quickly this can search and download videos.  And it's extremely easy to queue and play cached videos.  However, this seems like something I would use primarily to build an audio library.  It's simple enough to play audio from the cached videos, but space could be saved by just downloading audio instead of video.

If you are taking wish list requests, it would be nice to be nice to have a keybinding for downloading audio.

Thanks for sharing this!   :Thmbsup:

Ill certainly think about having the option to download as audio. It is a good idea.

You can rebind all the keys at will, so feel free to mess with the settings ( press ? while in the program ) the cache location is also in the settings there.
If it complains you don't have any editor set you can close the program then edit  ~/.ytsearch/settings.yaml  to get the same effect.

Sjc1000

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 09:58 PM »
Alright, I've implemented your download as audio idea into the development branch of ytsearch.

It attempts to download the best audio version. Sometimes downloading a webm with no video. Still a huge save on space.

cschw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 11:17 PM »
Full confession:  I'm more of an end user than a coder--and not versed on how to install the dev branch from GitLab.  I'm looking forward to trying the download as audio, and will do some digging into what it will take to test the development branch.

Thanks for the heads-up on customizing the editor in the settings.yaml file.  I'll give that a spin as well.

Sjc1000

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 06:10 PM »
I should have probably told you how to get the development branch. You can download it from  https://gitlab.com/s.../develop/archive.zip  /  https://gitlab.com/s...velop/archive.tar.gz   chose whichever format most suits you.

Extract it and you will need to run   pip3 install . --user   in the root directory of the project (the directory with the setup.py) to install the dev version. (This will install it over your current version)