ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Good programs for helping you manage what programs start with windows?

<< < (10/12) > >>

TucknDar:
Sorry to revive this thread, but I was wondering whether anyone use a AutoHotkey Script to manage their startup items? Either just a simple one or a more advanced with a GUI...?

Darwin:
PCMag has just released Startup Cop 3 with a bunch of new features including both delayed startup and the ability to set startup order (as in, don't start app x until app y has successfully launched). It's $7.95 (unless you have a subscription to their downloads) and I've just installed it but haven't had an opportunity to wring it out and put it through its paces (ah, the mixed metaphor - an artform!). Anyway, here's a list of features from the website (because I am too lazy to type it out myself):

1) A new interface that behaves more like a Web browser, enabling you to go back and forth between pages.

2) A threat database, provided by safety experts Bit9, gives you security in knowing that the programs listed are what they say they are. Startup Cop Pro generates a unique hash for the files that Windows starts up. This hash is sent to the Bit9 servers to compare with all of the file information in their vast database. If a hash matches, Startup Cop Pro can provide a threat level for the file. This method of determining a file's threat level is much more accurate than basing it on filenames which can easily be renamed.

3) The ability to turn off monitoring programs attempting to add themselves to the startup process. For example, if you know a program needs to insert itself into your runonce key and you don't want to be alerted, you can choose to not monitor the program.

4) A new, more descriptive dialog appears when there are duplicate entries in the startup list.

5) A simpler icon view of startup programs (if you choose it).

6) The ability to select which search engine to use in order to search for more information about a program

--- End quote ---

skywalka:
Thanx for the news Darwin.

For me the clincher will be something I've mentioned in my previous post.  If I add a new program to start without much of a delay I don't want to have to manually edit the delay for all subsequent programs.  If what you said here is true then maybe that wish has been realized?
don't start app x until app y has successfully launched).-Darwin (August 31, 2007, 07:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
Does this work?  How can StartUp Cop 3 determine if an app is succesfully launched?  By monitoring it's CPU useage?

I also like the feature that remembers how to handle reoccuring notifications.

Please, keep me posted.

Curt:
I know it has been mentioned here before (but not in this thread)

Startup Delayer (http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay) gives control over the startup process - you can delete entries you don't want, add new entries and also time the startup of applications so that you can introduce a delay during startup if you have a lot of apps trying to load all at the same time. -Carol Haynes (July 23, 2006, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

:up: Yes, Startup Delayer is soo easy to use:
Click the green plus, navigate to the program file, click OK. End of story!

Good programs for helping you manage what programs start with windows?

Edit: Startup Delayer is offering: "Pause Startup Delayer until this application has closed"

tomos:
PCMag has just released Startup Cop 3 with a bunch of new features including both delayed startup and the ability to set startup order (as in, don't start app x until app y has successfully launched). It's $7.95 (unless you have a subscription to their downloads) and I've just installed it but haven't had an opportunity to wring it out and put it through its paces (ah, the mixed metaphor - an artform!). Anyway, here's a list of features from the website (because I am too lazy to type it out myself):-Darwin (August 31, 2007, 07:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

sounds very interesting, they seem to have a lot of nice little programmes.
(nudone has recommended a couple over the last couple years)
I think if you pay $19(.99 I guess :) ) you can down them all -
dont know if they are easily accessible though.

Yeah, Mike, do let us know how you get on with that!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version