ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Good programs for helping you manage what programs start with windows?

<< < (7/12) > >>

Curt:
... At one point (this was long ago now so I do not remember the details) ... -broken85 (May 06, 2007, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do you remember if you were driving XP at the time, or something else?

nosh:
I simply lost all the items StartRight was managing from my startup list
--- End quote ---

There's a really good 2-click utility, StartupSelector, that'll let you backup your startup program shortcuts (including the contents of commonly used startup locations in the registry) - it's written by the author of Startup Control Panel: http://www.mlin.net/other.shtml

Its main purpose is to let you create different profiles detailing which programs to run on startup. I find it handy having a 'minimalist' profile besides my main one.

The program doesn't let you delete previously created profiles but that can be done using regedit: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\mlin\StartupSelector

Curt:
I gave up on Mike Lin because of too many crashes.

But that was me.

nosh:
I've been using his apps without any problems for longer than I can remember... too bad he seems to have abandoned them. My mail to him requesting the addition of an essential function to Startup Control Panel was met with silence.

Curt:
I've been using his apps without any problems for longer than I can remember... too bad he seems to have abandoned them. -nosh (May 06, 2007, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that is the problem; he has given up on updating. I guess he is busy doing other stuff. I hope! But it is okay, I think. Mike's star may be blurred, but it was shining, and you can't make a living by giving your work away for free all of your life. I was using Lin's apps when I was running Win98, and they were great. On Win2K some were still great, but not those I was hoping for. I have heard too many XP users complaining   to dare to try any of his apps at this new XP of mine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version