ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Good programs for helping you manage what programs start with windows?

<< < (6/12) > >>

Trilinea:
For simplicity or novice use I would probably recommend:

StartEd (by OuterTech) http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_charisma_page=products
or
StartUp Organizer  (by MetaProducts) from http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/Startup_Organizer.htm

(For more advanced use RegRun NIVA and Absolute Startup for added features like delay etc.)

I just downloaded Chameleon Startup and so far it seems to be pretty good.

Best,

TriLinea

Curt:
Welcome, Trilinea  :-*

The author is writing on a major Chameleon update - and I mean MAJOR!! He is going to add several feaures in order to beat all the other managers... A couple of months ago he said it might be launched during May. But time will tell.

broken85:
This may have been mentioned already, but there was recently a discount here for Chameleon Startup Manager 2 (http://www.neosoft-tools.com/windows-startup-manager.htm). I bought it, and I love it. It's small, it's reliable, it can postpone startup items on high CPU load and set startup delays, as well as keep profiles, and in my experience it works a lot better than Startup Guru (which I also own but which I've had a lot of trouble with in the past).

I also really like how you can easily switch the startup location of items between the current and all users in both the start menu and the registry. It gives you a great feeling of control.

EDIT:
Yeah, it was mentioned right above my posts. Whoops! Well let this serve as a shining recommendation for Chameleon Startup Manager!

Curt:
Thanks to this thread I am now using Startup Delayer too. When I installed it, it was entirely because StartRight for some unknown reason wouldn't function properly on my new XP, though it worked like a charm on the old Win2K. But now, a month later, I wonder how I got by without Startup Delayer. It is very simple (as is StartRight), but it does excatly what I would want it to. I don't care if the starting procedure actually is slower now, because it is more important to me that the weaker programs are all starting the way their author intended them to. I have far too many programs to expect all of them to open every time, without a manager. But now I can relax, knowing that ALL programs will open AND display their icon. And Startup Delayer is soo easy to use.

I recommend the simple Startup Delayer and StartRight
- keep it simple, dummy!  8)

broken85:
I used StartRight for some time and would recommend it as well. At one point (this was long ago now so I do not remember the details) I simply lost all the items StartRight was managing from my startup list, so that was a little bit frustrating, but all in all it was a great app which introduced me to the wonderful world of delaying startup applications.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version