topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The Ghost Process [SOLVED]  (Read 15212 times)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Ghost Process
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 04:25 AM »
try to forget that and concentrate in determining the ghost process or service.
You really don't understand how troubleshooting works, do you? It's a process of elimination and lots of questions/information, not of any assumptions. Please re-read the quote below my posts...

As long as I can remember the three or more point are for a configurable desktops program. I think is from Microsoft.
What makes you think so? And what did you do to obtain them, as nobody in this thread knows them or how to enable them, and we're (nearly) all experienced Windows users :huh:

[rant]
As so often, your thread is full of fuzzy (non-)information and unrelated bits, and short on answers to questions that are asked. And yes, that bothers me, as it is very unhelpful in us trying to actually help you find a solution.
[/rant]

As said before: Check your video drivers settings and options for virtual desktop features, and, as mwb1100 suggested, remove the (probably) unused nVidia drivers from your system.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 05:19 AM »
As long as I can remember the three or more point are for a configurable desktops program. I think is from Microsoft.
What makes you think so? And what did you do to obtain them, as nobody in this thread knows them or how to enable them, and we're (nearly) all experienced Windows users :huh:

I presume that's the Sysinternals one linked earlier - in which case:
Contro, why not uninstall that?
Tom

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 06:28 AM »
Broken monitors:
The electronics in the section of your monitor that converts power from your national power grid to the voltages that the screen needs can break. Usually it is one or more capacitors that have "plopped". Something which happens sooner or later. Depending on the quality of these capacitors. Replacement of such capacitors is easy if you know how to (de-)solder components.

Plopped capacitors is the most common cause of failing monitors. The parts that convert the 220V grid power to the 5V/12V that the parts in your monitor need follows next as common cause of failure. Also rather easily fixed, but it helps if you have diagnostic equipment for electronics at hand, besides knowing how these sections work. This section is the most likely section that has one or more "burned up" components. this is something you usually can smell. Repair of that is tricky. it usually ain't difficult, but finding all components that have been damaged as a consequence of the actual burned up components, that is the tricky part.

Most people simply replace a monitor when that happens. Easier and something new and shiny to play with.

Uninstalling Dexpot"
Did you also reboot your computer afterwards or you just uninstalled? Graphical drivers use software that hooks in the hardware at low levels. Which is why you better do a full reboot when installing or uninstalling anything related to software that manipulates the way how Windows is able to show any kind of graphics on your screens in the first place.

Graphic drivers have improved significantly over the years, but it often is still better to make Windows go through a full reboot. 
thanks shades. I live in an island.
I was watching several you tube videos about this. condensers replace and so. And the use of globes to evitate electro shocks or something ?

In my island even nobody , or is difficult to find, solds a point in the motherboard...

The monitor first hand cost 129 euros. Of second hand probably the half.

I decided that even in the case I learn to sold next time I need to use will be in a year at least. sometimes is not an advantage....

I will restart and comment.

Now I am revising all this and watching The apartament with Shirley McLaine and Jack Lemmons. Here is a festive day !!!!!!

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 06:29 AM »

I presume that's the Sysinternals one linked earlier - in which case:
Contro, why not uninstall that?
I install instead to proof is not the program i am searching for.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 06:31 AM »
You really don't understand how troubleshooting works, do you? It's a process of elimination and lots of questions/information, not of any assumptions. Please re-read the quote below my posts...

[rant]
As so often, your thread is full of fuzzy (non-)information and unrelated bits, and short on answers to questions that are asked. And yes, that bothers me, as it is very unhelpful in us trying to actually help you find a solution.
[/rant]

As said before: Check your video drivers settings and options for virtual desktop features, and, as mwb1100 suggested, remove the (probably) unused nVidia drivers from your system.
I'll try my very best.

Best Regards
 :-*

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 06:48 AM »
I uninstall any process given in the list above.
I don't think about the nvidia drivers just because the recent installations of sysinternals desktops. when I change to a new desktop in this program the "ghost program" dissappear.

:-[
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:57 AM by Contro »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 06:54 AM »
I don't think about the nvidia drivers just because the recent installations os sysinternals desktops. when I change to a new desktop in this program the "ghost program" dissappear.

because of the language barrier Contro, it is best to keep statements simple and very clear:

what exactly did you uninstall?
Tom

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 06:59 AM »
I don't think about the nvidia drivers just because the recent installations os sysinternals desktops. when I change to a new desktop in this program the "ghost program" dissappear.

because of the language barrier Contro, it is best to keep statements simple and very clear:

what exactly did you uninstall?
Sorry : I will uninstall any process given in the list above. I close several ones, but those remaining still maintain the ghost program.

Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 07:03 AM »
I have uninstalled of the Nvidia associates entries in programs. The three points continue. I will reiniate and see.

Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 07:57 AM »
I have tried to uninstall all entry about Nvidia. something goes wrong. I have not entries with Nvidia in the list of programs after reiniating. But I have in the panel control the entry "Nvidia panel control".
Also detect entries in the task administration. close all. The problem continues.
so I need uninstall al entries to Nvidia manually. I try now.
I have close processes as long as I can searching for the ghost process.
I adjunt the list obtained with process explorer of the processes. The ghost process continue.
Best Regards.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2017, 08:43 AM »

[rant]
[/rant]

This is a bit more aggressive than I think is warranted in this particular audience.  We know that Contro is not a native English speaker, so is struggling through this.  If you can't work through this with him, it seems that a better approach for the community might be for you to ignore his threads?

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 09:02 AM »
I delete all entries Nvidia. Reinitiate.
Physical folders and the registry patiently.
no more nvidia panel control present.
no present of nvidia processes in the administration task.
the ghost process is not solved.

What's next !!!!!!

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2017, 09:18 AM »
wraith808 please don't punish me.

Trying to analyze the graphical cards option relating to virtual desktops.

But I am sure that the conflictive program is prior to that. I began this pc with only one monitor. And install several virtual desktop utilities like Virtual Dimension and others. From that time I observed the problem but give not importance because simple I was not using.

Now I have several options :
1. Find the ghost process.

2. Forget the icons in one of the ghost desktops and create again using the desktop folder.

3. Continue finding alternatives to desktops or virtual dimension trying to locate the ghost process and why appear. With a name i can search in the registry.

The new graphic cards AMD Radeon R7240 i don't remember any utility for virtual desktop I applied.
The intel graphic card integrated in the mothermoard I don't remember in the asus utilities one for controlling virtual desktops.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2017, 09:21 AM »
I go now to calm down my nerves for a while.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2017, 10:35 AM »
This is a bit more aggressive than I think is warranted in this particular audience.  We know that Contro is not a native English speaker, so is struggling through this.  If you can't work through this with him, it seems that a better approach for the community might be for you to ignore his threads?
Well, I've thought about both issues, and I still think it is in the right place and audience, as he's still pulling in new/other/related and unrelated info that further troubles the water (proof enough after your post...) and gives no or confusing answers to any questions asked. I won't ignore threads started by Contro as I think he needs (computer-)help, lots of it.

Contro, wraith808 was trying to soften my reaction to your issue, and not pointing at you in any way.
We all know you can use all the help we have to offer, please help us helping you by a) not flooding your threads with small bits of non-related info, b) give complete details about the issue at hand, and c) give straight and simple answers on any question asked (like tomos requested)

Example:
I began this pc with only one monitor. And install several virtual desktop utilities like Virtual Dimension and others.
Knowing this from the original post would have been very helpful in tracking down the cause. There is a fair chance that one of those VD tools has installed or configured something in your system that is causing all this
From that time I observed the problem but give not importance because simple I was not using.
This is an indication that you need a lot of help in troubleshooting (anything), as the 'problem' has existed for quite a long time, and now you are making all this fuss about it? Why? Why now?

Yes, I still will offer help if and when I can, but I'll detach myself from this thread starting now

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2017, 11:08 AM »
In Process Explorer you have a symbol on top that looks like what you see when you look through the visor of a rifle...the (infamous) cross-hair.

You can drag this symbol over the window that you have a problem with and when you release the mouse button, the process behind this window is selected in Process Explorer. That should make the "hunt" much easier.

I try this putting the process explorer window in the nearest position, but when I am going to put over the points dissapeared. It's simply stressing, but I will keep trying and training.

Best Regards

P.D. training I get the points but the results in process explorer is windows explorer. Just the same as if I put the pointer circle of PE in the middle of the desktop.

I adjunt a selection of my installed programs. The more to be suspicious anyway.

I will revise all the program of multiple desktops I installed before have multiple monitors. And try to find in the windows registry. Or any rest in any folder.

The only exception i remember was a grid control program from DC.

I will test all these links :
http://listoffreewar...al-desktop-managers/
http://vdm.codeplex.com/
https://superuser.co...to-virtual-dimension
http://www.tpsort.co...nd-similar-softwares
http://www.techsuppo...-desktop-manager.htm
http://alternativeto...e/virtual-dimension/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:25 AM by Contro »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Well, I've thought about both issues, and I still think it is in the right place and audience, as he's still pulling in new/other/related and unrelated info that further troubles the water (proof enough after your post...) and gives no or confusing answers to any questions asked. I won't ignore threads started by Contro as I think he needs (computer-)help, lots of it.

Contro, wraith808 was trying to soften my reaction to your issue, and not pointing at you in any way.
We all know you can use all the help we have to offer, please help us helping you by a) not flooding your threads with small bits of non-related info, b) give complete details about the issue at hand, and c) give straight and simple answers on any question asked (like tomos requested)

Example:
I began this pc with only one monitor. And install several virtual desktop utilities like Virtual Dimension and others.
Knowing this from the original post would have been very helpful in tracking down the cause. There is a fair chance that one of those VD tools has installed or configured something in your system that is causing all this
From that time I observed the problem but give not importance because simple I was not using.
This is an indication that you need a lot of help in troubleshooting (anything), as the 'problem' has existed for quite a long time, and now you are making all this fuss about it? Why? Why now?

Yes, I still will offer help if and when I can, but I'll detach myself from this thread starting now
Understood.
I'll try my very best.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 12:03 PM »
I have two points now !
I try to organize my icons dragging to the "main desktop". The problem is that I can't determine the shortcut to change desktop. So I dedicate to make with the mouse and lef button clicked fast movements and "chaotic movements" until I reach other desktop. Then I tried to reproduce the same process with difficulty to recover the icons in the first desktop. I got the most and now have two points. I think in the second desktop is nothing.
The strange thing for me is not get navigate between the desktops with ease. I have tried a lot of combinations.
I remember exists applications to assing shortcuts or see what are assigned. And this may be an opportunity to detect the ghost program.

Do you know a good one ?

Meanwhile I continue searching in the windows registry for strings like "dexpot" and others.

Edited 15.08.2017.20.01 . One point now !.
I try to repeat the game dragging icons but I only get the three points again.
In one of these desktops I have only two icons. So I deleted after making a security copy and now I only have one point. --

Edited 15.08.2017.21.35. Searching the windows registry for rests or traces :
dexpot --- no traces found
virtuawin --- no traces found
sysinternals desktops --- no traces found

I have begún to post in personalyze specialized forums with the hope somebody knows the interface of the three points..

Best regards

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:33 PM by Contro »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Ghost Process [SOLVED]
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2017, 04:51 AM »
I think this is solved.
I will explain why and probably will be a strange and ghost situation.

I am wating now for the answer in one of the forums I made this post. In the very one I think have the key to give. But don't give.... Just because I think is its program....

I have made this question in about 10 forums.

The unique forum with a splendid participation has been DC. Of course this problem has to be solved in the forum if I had the adequate way to expose the matter. So I am afraid I will receive a good warning about this.
But I prefer receive the warning that don't tell you my answer.

Best Regards
 :tellme: :tellme: :tellme: :tellme: :tellme: :tellme: :tellme: :-*

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2017, 05:50 AM »
^ I dont understand -- except that you think it is solved.
Are you going to tell us the solution?
Tom

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2017, 06:00 AM »
Yessssss !!!!!!. With all my faults.

1. If I were using regscanner instead of regedit I will arrive easier to the target without losing a lot of hours and my nerves. This is a "good auto warning" to my next time....

2. It's all completely my fault.

As you can see I give some residents after proof that the other were not causing the "effect three points".

I also give a selected list of installed applications. Removing all that ones that don't cause the "effect three points".

sorry , i have to come out. I will come back to the rest of the explanation.....16.08.2017.13.37 i am here again.

But I don't give the list of the application in autorun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a suspicious program that I will give you the name later anyway (now waiting for interaction in its forum...) . I download a trial of that program and installed in one of my virtual machines....

And "Voilá" . I observ that i have the process in the autorun or startup programs, but when the controls of that programs are charged the process dissappear..... But you have in certain way the feel that the program is running always....

Well...

The above part may be the simpler until now. I think wraith808 told us he had or has a similar problem with a ghost process.

But perhaps wraith808 may have also my problem hypothesis.

Some time ago i had a virus. As you may know "contro" (just me) is unable to restore an image. The maxima is "save the system without reinstalling, repairing or restoring". With this stupidity thing in mind all is possible. The only time I have restored an image is when i change the system disk in the ACER laptop....

At the time of the virus I solved as well as i can. I lose the preview in some files and during a time the sfc /scannow fails or not complete.

At the present time I have lost the preview option of files like txt, doc, pdf, etc. , except movies and images in windows explorer.

What I am trying to explain is my hipothesis. My hipothesis is :

I uninstall the conflictive program bad and some control were changed without advice. I think so just because i search in an exhaustive task any string relating to programs to personalyze the pc (like virtual desktops managers).

I found certain strings and delete. And the ghost process ceased....

Of course I will tell my theory better if the forum of the program answer me what "i wish to hear". If not I wll have to convince myself i have done the correct. But even is possible that a control of a program was interacting with "other things".

Nevertheless the problem is until now resolved. Until now I am supposing just because a corruption in my system and interacting with a reputated and reknown trial program that was uninstalled with some problem.

That to my surprise there exists processes that launch an interface but are not always running until the moment you make a move. I think exists programs to control in any moment when appear a process. In DC i remember utilities to control this. And even controls that don't seems have a correspondent in the autorun !!!!!!!!!!!!!. we are far from Halloween uh u h uh uh !!!!!!!!!!

If the forum answer i will put the program. if not I will put the program.

Best regards.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:58 AM by Contro »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2017, 07:29 AM »

I think he's going to wait until he's sure it's the solution before sharing it.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2017, 08:00 AM »

I think he's going to wait until he's sure it's the solution before sharing it.
Wraith808 please see if my problem may serve you by proximity

1. a process not running everytime detectable in the startup options.

2. a control installed without notice for a bad uninstall.

Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2017, 12:17 PM »
I do exactly 12 post in different forums. More restricted than here. I want to know if someone knows the interface of the three points....

https://forums.stardock.com/484677

I was assuming stardock was the maker of the virtual desktop program. There is no answer in the present moment.

In the microsoft spanish forum they are almost sure that is the program 7stacks.

https://answers.micr...06c?tm=1502742160345

No more useful answers until the moment. Nobody knows that interface.

I search the windows registry for the key Stardock, also in folders. delete everything i found and now i have no problem.
But I think Ath is right and is not sure the correlation.

Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2017, 02:00 PM »
the three point screen is the option : Swipe between multiple pages of fences.

:P