ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Poster Printer - free (open source)

<< < (3/3)

nudone:
i can't honestly remember which programs i've tried in the past but, if i remember correctly, they don't quite do the full job that is required.

the problem lies in the edges of the print and more importantly, how you join them all back together.

if you don't mind having 'rough' edges and obvious overcuts and undercuts in your final joined poster then there's nothing to worry about. or, perhaps, you are an eagle eye cutter that can cut the perfect edge so that you don't stray into the part that contains the print and nor do you stray away from it thereby leaving an obvious white sliver.

maybe my memory doesn't serve me well and there is a program i tried that did a slight 'overprint' so that you don't need a qualified surgeon to perform the cutting out. i do remember just using ms publisher in the end as that allowed me to adjust overprint borders how i wanted them.

now that my brain is getting warmed up i think 'poster printery' probably had the ability????

eschen:
Good point. But, with a little experience you can get good results without it, too. Start with a 2x2 matrix, then try the bit more harder ones (3x3, ...)  ;)

A good (office) guillotine can help to get straighter cuts than with a pair of scissors.

nudone:
i've got a guillotine, eschen, and whilst it is better than plane old scissors it still leaves room for error. i admit i'm being real picky about how the cuts are done - i just want the finished poster to look as seamless and whole as possible and i've found that using the overprint method is the only real way of doing it.

my problem really, i shouldn't expect things to be so perfect.

tomos:
I got to print stuff often that's bigger than A4, - using Freehand - you can "Tile" the image and dictate the overlap.
 :) At god knows what price you're probably not going to get Freehand just for that :(

But, what I do then is - use a medical scalpel and one of those cutting mats (in\correct name??) and you can crop edges very accurately.
I use it for photos too, can't trust a guillotine for really fine work ...

Carol Haynes:
I've emailed the author - see if we get a response ;)
-Carol Haynes (July 19, 2006, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just got a friendly and helpful reply from Michael Overlin re. problems installing Poster Print. The installer should enter the correct port automatically but on my system it obviously didn't do it properly. If anyone else has this problem enter "virtual printer port" without the quotes and installation goes ahead fine. Now I am going to have a play ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version