ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Poster Printer - free (open source)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Yes the rasterbator is what I thought of too. Haven't tried either yet.

Can anyone write, like, a mini review of either service? I'd like to get a first (second?) hand impression of such services. I might try it once I have found a new apartment, I wanna get really creative when setting up my room.
-housetier (July 18, 2006, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Rasterbator doesn't exactly print posters (not straightforward enlargement) but rather produces 'dotty' images that look good from the other side of a room.

mouser:
haven't tried it yet.
i do know there are also some shareware tools for this as well:
http://www.cadkas.de/downengprint1.php

Carol Haynes:
I've emailed the author - see if we get a response ;)

eschen:
You may have a look at 2G PosterWorks. About $9 and amazing results when you have images with 300dpi and 1280x1024 resolution, even with a 3x3 A4 page matrix.

Here are some examples. Have a look at the "Posters" section near the end of the page. "Lab Creatures" (Wallpaper for original image, 2x2 PDF, 3x3 PDF), the last image in the list was done with the latest release, the file length is much shorter than the other images that were done with the older release, we used first.

We had a look at:

* ACEPoster
* PosterPrint
* PrintExpander

free:
* MegaPoster
* Posteriza

As the author of PosterWorks says himself (similar to our experiences with these tools):

It's better (higher resolution images, support for wide-format printers and paper stock, PDF document conversion, more functionality, larger maximum poster size) than its competitors, it's faster (can spool a full-page high-resolution image as faster as your printer will take it -- no print lag); and cheaper ($8.95! You gotta be kidding me).
--- End quote ---

mouser:
great post eschen, and welcome to the site!

[without commenting on this specifc set of programs, in general i think for most of us, spending $10 for a superior tool will almost always be a smarter idea than paying $0 for a tool not as good.  especially when its going to cost you that much in ink to do the printout]

(ps anyone feel like doing a bit of googling and filling in the websites for those other tools as well?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version