ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wow: Microsoft Acquires WinInternals/SysInternals!

<< < (5/7) > >>

mouser:
Sentinel!!!   :-*
great to hear from you and great to hear you are doing well.

i think your points are really well taken.  ms has taken some hits in the recent past and it "feels" to me like they might be using this as an opportunity to improve the company significantly.

i joke all the time that people have such innate biases.

if ms did what google does, and google did was ms does, you can bet the headlines would be the same:
lavish praise on google for their brilliant delays of their OS.  and hatred of MS for releasing all these half-assed half-finished, always in beta evil web apps.  and don't get me started on the public hangings that would occur if microsoft tried to pull the no-details-revealed stuff that google does with its advertising things. microsoft cannot get a break - but perhaps that's what they've needed to convince them to cut out some of the fat and get back to focusing on quality.

Carol Haynes:
Welcome back Sentinel - in such good voice you included you eulogy twice in the one post ;)

For those who want to grab Sysinternal tools you can get them from the website (which seems to be working again) or if you just want to download the lot 'en masse' use Internet Explorer to visit ftp://download.sysinternals.com/Files and selct all and copy to a folder.

Sentinel:
Wow, I really feel privileged to be remembered.  That being said, the erm, slight duplication issue was out of my control, yet is now somehow magically fixed (spelling errors omitted).

Back on track, I've contacted a number of 'key players' at Microsoft for comment regarding the Winternals buyout.  I've heard nothing back so far meaning they are either drunk on expenses (again) or don't have the faintest idea (along with the rest of us).  I'm going for plan 'B'.  I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

f0dder:
but perhaps that's what they've needed to convince them to cut out some of the fat and get back to focusing on quality.

--- End quote ---

Ho humm, cut fat and focus on quality? I just don't see that happening, with them focusing on eye-candy in Vista. Even WinXP came on a CD, Vista comes as a 3.19GB DVD... "but that's not a problem, modern harddrives are large!" - sure, but that size tells you something about system requirements as well. "But that's no problem, everybody have fast CPUs, lots of RAM, and powerful GPUs". No, not everybody has, and even for people that do, do you want your base operating system to chew up massive resources?

Their endless company acquisitions seems like "we've got to have that feature too", which either means MS gets bigger and suffer even lousier internal communication, or that there's less people to manage more code - resulting in ever-poorer software.

I'm not at all impressed. Too bad there's no viable alternative to Windows >_<

Sentinel:
Slightly off topic, but if it helps, all MS employees have been forced to 'enjoy' Vista from the early beta stages.  I've heard a lot of pain and curses (damn you Dell for not prodviding a DX10 laptop 6 months earlier it seems!).  Think of it this way, it may suck, but MS has been forced to endure the brunt of its lameness up until now.  :D

If that isn't punishment enough, it seems the only fitting punishment involves Bill Gates, a bowl of Jello and the realisation that marketing direction is no direction at all.

Lets hope that ERD Commander 2006 makes a showing without ending up on 2 DVDs...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version