topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Wow: Microsoft Acquires WinInternals/SysInternals!  (Read 35892 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wow: Microsoft Acquires WinInternals/SysInternals!
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2006, 02:51 PM »
i cant say what will become of vista - but i applaud the delay.
from my standpoint, win xp pro is quite good, and id rather them take their time with vista as opposed to rushing it out the door.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 04:51 PM »
(just adding my voice to welcoming back Sentinel.)

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 07:57 PM »
Oh, I'd also like to point out that JC is right in so many ways.  I'd also like to point out (more importantly) that JC may indeed be in breech of the DCMA so guilty until proven innocent applies.  Let the converging swat teams be a lesson to us alll.  :D
It still isn't going to make me pay my Bitsum maintence, dammit.  Well, ok, maybe later  ;)

What? I'm in breach of the DCMA? You mean with that reversing of sysinternal's nt eval tool so long ago?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 07:59 PM by db90h »

Sentinel

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
  • Generally confused
    • View Profile
    • www.donationcoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2006, 02:05 AM »
What? I'm in breach of the DCMA? You mean with that reversing of sysinternal's nt eval tool so long ago?

Yes.  Waiting so long for PEBundle 4.0 has made me delirious.  :P
Designated "proofreading free" zone.

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2006, 12:44 AM »
Mark's Sysinternals Blog

Tools remains free.

Mark talks about his first week at M$:
(sounds like to be a big company, thoose M$? Meeting, meeting, no eMail address...)

Monday, July 31, 2006
...I’m pleased to report that Microsoft’s number one priority is not only keeping
the tools freely available, but preserving the Sysinternals community including the newsletter,
the forums, and my blog. While we’re still brainstorming how to make this successful in the
long term, I’m pleased to announce the first step in the transition, which is the introduction of
 a new Sysinternals EULA, that I believe is even more permissive than the EULA in place
before the Microsoft acquisition, since it allows for wider use of Sysinternals utilities within a
company.
-Mark

One of the most frustrating aspects of the first week is that I still have no working Microsoft email account.
-Mark
Probably of most importance, however, is the outcome of the various meetings
-Mark
http://www.sysintern...6/07/first-week.html

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For our german readers (and thoose how wanna proof there skil in german language  ;D)
das schreibt die PCWelt dazu:
http://www.pcwelt.de...are/53259/index.html

Nach Microsoft-Übernahme: Sysinternals-Tools bleiben gratisGute Nachricht aus Redmond: Auch nach der Übernahme von Winternals/Sysinternals durch Microsoft werden auch weiterhin alle praktischen Windows-Tools von Sysinternals gratis zum Download angeboten werden. Nach der Übernahme von Winternals/ Sysinternals durch Microsoft ( wir berichteten ) hatten viele Anwender im Internet die Befürchtung geäußert, dass die beliebten kostenlosen Sysinternals-Tools, wie beispielsweise der Process Explorer und Filemon , künftig nicht mehr zum Download angeboten würden. In seinem Blog gibt Mark Russinovich Entwarnung .

Laut Angaben von Russinovich ist Microsoft vollkommen damit einverstanden, dass alle bisher gratis zum Download angebotenen Sysinternals-Tools weiterhin der Internet-Gemeinde erhalten bleiben. Außerdem unterstütze Microsoft das Vorhaben, die Sysinternals-Community zu unterstützen und auszubauen. Microsoft sei sogar daran interessiert, bei der Verbreitung der Tools mitzuhelfen. So sei geplant, alle Tools von Sysinternals künftig zusätzlich auch über Microsofts Download-Service allen Anwendern zum Herunterladen anzubieten. Das böte die Möglichkeit, so Russinovich, die Download-Kapazitäten zu erhöhen. "Ich und Microsoft glauben, dass dies Microsofts Verpflichtung demonstriert, die Tools weiterhin kostenlos verfügbar zu halten", so Russinovich. Für alle Sysinternals-Tools wird auch künftig die Sysinternals-EULA gelten.
-PC-Welt
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 12:48 AM by AbteriX »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2006, 10:19 AM »
I'm still skeptic... it's not like Microsoft haven't ever changed their minds about stuff.
- carpe noctem