ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wow: Microsoft Acquires WinInternals/SysInternals!

(1/7) > >>

mouser:
This is big news - the people who made filemin, regmon, and a whole bunch of utilities, and who are some of the most knowledgable people about windows internals have now been acuired by microsoft.

Q. What are you announcing?
A. Winternals and Sysinternals have been acquired by Microsoft. Winternals is a leading provider of systems recovery tools for Windows-based enterprises worldwide and Sysinternals is one of the leading community and enthusiast sites for people interested in information about the internals of the Windows operating system.

--- End quote ---

http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx

from MachinShi on #c++ (efnet)

Carol Haynes:
Hmmm ... all sounds very positive but I can't say I am hopeful that this will lead to any benefits outside MS !!

f0dder:
Oh no :(

I hope they won't discontinue/mess up the free (sysinternals) tools - nor the (winternals) flagships like ERD commander. Or put a lid on Mark Russinovich.

Carol Haynes:
Had an interesting effect on their servers ... Page loading time seems to have deteriorated to stationary ... I'd guess the whole world (and their dogs) are downloading all the sysinternals utilities in case MS pulls them. On Winternals there doesn't seem to be any way to purchase any of the products any more (not that anyone outside corporate circles could afford them) ... is this the way things will be from now on ?

mwb1100:
I imagine this is very good for the SysInternals guys, I don't think that it will be good for anyone else (even Microsoft).  None of the things SysInternals (the free utility/info site) did was by any means outside of the scope of what could be done by Microsoft.  It's just that Microsoft didn't think of the usefulness of the utilities & information or did not want to expend resources on them.

I think that the stuff on Winternals (the non-free Admin Pak and Protection Manager) is technology and/or products that Microsoft is smart to acquire; I think that MS bought them mainly for their Protection Manager technology to deal with running applications in a secured (and ACL'ed) sandbox.  But for most people, the free stuff on SysInternals was what was valuable.

I'd guess that the existing set of functionality of the free SysInternal utilities will continue to be available in some form or another, but I expect that there will be nothing new coming, unless they let Russinovich & Cogswell have some significant independence.  Maybe there will be a short-lived period where there's some new utilities, but I think in the long run, not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version