topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Amazon patents "anti-window shopping" tech  (Read 3081 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Amazon patents "anti-window shopping" tech
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Don't know how they patented a router setting, but:
Having long thrived on shoppers checking on their phones to see if a product is cheaper online, Amazon’s “Physical Store Online Shopping Control” patent aims to prevent you doing just that in a Amazon-run real-world store.

from Packt Dispatch and The Verge

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Amazon patents "anti-window shopping" tech
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:21 PM »
I think you're not getting the implications.  When in the physical store for Barnes & Noble, I sometimes check prices on Amazon.  Same in Best Buy, Costco, etc.  It's usually using the free wi-fi in the store.  This would prevent that while you're in the store and on their wi-fi.  I don't see what the use is other than to piss off customers that are currently on your store, however, as you could just turn off your wi-fi connection and use your cell phone's connection instead.  But there you go. 

Playing the long game to shoot yourself in the foot.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:39 PM »
So is this a defensive patent which Amazon will use to keep benefiting from such behavior? So the likes of Walmart and Barnes & Noble can't stop you from checking the price on Amazon?

I don't see what the use is other than to piss off customers that are currently on your store, however, as you could just turn off your wi-fi connection and use your cell phone's connection instead.

That assumes you are paying for a data plan. Most people with cell phones probably are, but still... there are some people who don't pay extra for data. :)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 11:11 PM »
I think you're not getting the implications.  When in the physical store for Barnes & Noble, I sometimes check prices on Amazon.  Same in Best Buy, Costco, etc.  It's usually using the free wi-fi in the store.  This would prevent that while you're in the store and on their wi-fi.  I don't see what the use is other than to piss off customers that are currently on your store, however, as you could just turn off your wi-fi connection and use your cell phone's connection instead.  But there you go. 

Playing the long game to shoot yourself in the foot.
No, I get the implications just fine, and I believe most folks won't even be aware of what's happening.  They'll probably just accept that when in Amazon (or Amazon-owned franchise), you do as your Amazonian Overlords allow, and won't bother turning off Wifi.  Further, I believe it is a dual-edged sword; like Deozaan said:
So is this a defensive patent which Amazon will use to keep benefiting from such behavior? So the likes of Walmart and Barnes & Noble can't stop you from checking the price on Amazon?
This is a patent, which means that others can't legally use the same tech without negotiating with Amazon.  That said, a simple router setting would do the same job, which leaves me scratching my head how... I just...  :huh:

On a personal note: To be honest, if I'm in a brick-and-mortar store, I've already done my online homework, and I am there for the express purpose of buying something that I need that day, and I am fully aware that I am paying for the convenience.  On many occasions I have gladly paid Radio Shack (R.I.P.) 5 bucks for a 75 cent part because I needed it today.  No data plan needed.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 07:14 AM »
On a personal note: To be honest, if I'm in a brick-and-mortar store, I've already done my online homework, and I am there for the express purpose of buying something that I need that day, and I am fully aware that I am paying for the convenience.  On many occasions I have gladly paid Radio Shack (R.I.P.) 5 bucks for a 75 cent part because I needed it today.  No data plan needed.

When I'm in a brick and mortar store, it's usually to spend time out with my family.  My daughter loves to go to Barnes and Noble, and I just hang out and sometimes see something I want, so compare the prices.  Same with Best Buy.  I don't go in to buy, but to browse.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:43 AM »
Hmm, next thing is to take a page out of the auto dealership book.  The List Price on the book does not include "Dealer Prep"(i.e. taking the book out of the shipping carton and sticking it on the shelf.)