topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 3:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Routing issue?  (Read 2715 times)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Routing issue?
« on: July 14, 2017, 06:05 PM »
So around a month ago I noticed I can't get to DC and another site (and a handful more that I have discovered since)

My first thought was my connection, but only two (at the time) were inaccessible
Second thought DNS issue but why affecting two+ different sites?
After noticing that DC (and those other(s)) ARE accessible through a VPN I thought may be my IP is banned but then why would DC or a few unrelated sites ban my IP.
So finally I do a traceroute to DC (and another site) and 8 hops from me just after my ISP's addresses I get the dreaded ??? ??? ???

Other than calling me ISP does any body have any thoughts? I am afraid such a routing issue won't be solved by my clueless ISP, they are not going to check what is likely a routing issue beyond their servers, not even their own probably.

(In the past days I am checking DC through Opera VPN and Windscribe with no problem)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Routing issue?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 08:14 PM »
WireShark has a steepish learning curve, but with that tool you can identify where things go wrong when you surf to these problematic websites. This software sees all network traffic going through your network and you can gain a lot of deep insight in what your problem is and where it occurs.

Tools like traceroute and perhaps nslookup (regarding DNS) are the first troubleshooting tools you should use to find out about simple networking issues. But for a more thorough investigation, use: Networkminer or when things are getting complicated: Wireshark.

Both can be obtained for free, but require that you install the latest version of WinPCap (also freeware). The pro version of Networkminer is more powerful, but comes with a hefty price-tag: 900USD, but the free version is likely already helpful enough.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Have Wireshark, will try to investigate further. Never heard of Networkminer, will check it. Thanks Shades.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 12:13 PM »
There's also Fiddler for watching/capturing web traffic.