topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Code to add a ViewType in Kodi Krypton  (Read 5484 times)

Clive

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Code to add a ViewType in Kodi Krypton
« on: July 09, 2017, 10:40 PM »
Is there anyone here who could help me by writing the code to:
create a two or three column list view and
code which would act as a placeholder i.e. to return to the same point in a list rather than the default which is to return to the beginning of the list. There's this tutorial in Kodi. I'm too much of a noob to follow it though :P
Thanks in advance

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Code to add a ViewType in Kodi Krypton
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:31 PM »
There's this tutorial in Kodi. I'm too much of a noob to follow it though :P

The tutorial shows how to write an XML file which tells Kodi how to display the view described in the XML file.  The problem is that the XML is not code, per se.  It's a markup language.  That is, that XML file is not going to determine what Kodi displays when you press the back button.  That's handled within the actual codebase that powers Kodi .  In other words, you would need to either modify the Kodi codebase to do what you want or find a setting within Kodi that enables the behaviour you seek.  Does that make sense?

Now, that being said, I use Kodi and navigating back through various folders, etc, brings me back to the previously selected folder.  Of course, I might be misunderstanding you.

Clive

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Code to add a ViewType in Kodi Krypton
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 02:34 AM »
There's this tutorial in Kodi. I'm too much of a noob to follow it though :P

The tutorial shows how to write an XML file which tells Kodi how to display the view described in the XML file.  The problem is that the XML is not code, per se.  It's a markup language.  That is, that XML file is not going to determine what Kodi displays when you press the back button.  That's handled within the actual codebase that powers Kodi .  In other words, you would need to either modify the Kodi codebase to do what you want or find a setting within Kodi that enables the behaviour you seek.  Does that make sense?

Now, that being said, I use Kodi and navigating back through various folders, etc, brings me back to the previously selected folder.  Of course, I might be misunderstanding you.

Thanks S. Without enough info who wouldn't misunderstand me? The case I'm talking about is when you're looking at a list of movies and you click on a title to see further info. When you click back you go back to the beginning of the list of titles. It's a drag when you have a lot of titles just in alphabetical order. As to the first part of your explanation - yes, that does make sense. Does that also affect the ability to dispaly a title list in columns or is that a different problem? I'd like to diplay in columns as it would make scanning through a list easier.
Thanks again for your response and to anyone else who's watching.