topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Light Alloy limited-time discount  (Read 7441 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Light Alloy limited-time discount
« on: July 17, 2006, 07:33 PM »
It seems like Light Alloy is only $9.95 (normally ~$30) for the time being.  It's a really full-featured and lightwieght video and multimedia player.  I primarily use MPC for my videos, but I'd also like a few more customizability options and Light Alloy is great for that.  And for this cheap, why not?

http://www.softella....m/la/features.en.htm

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Light Alloy limited-time discount
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Here's an image from their website!
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 12:14 PM »
Confused - if you click "Purchase Full Version" it costs $29.99, or if you click "Buy Now! $19" it is $19, did you have a link for $9.95?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 12:40 PM »
I must be missing something?

When you are playing a video and click on the video settings button why does it say No decoder in most (but not all) video types.

Also how do you play MPG video files ? Seems a pretty standard format to me but when I try to load an MPG file Explorer crashes and after windows gets back to normal it tells me there is a missing codec, takes me to the site to get the required codec which promptly tells me there is no codec.

Since I can play the files on my system (in Windows Media Player) why does it need another codec anyway ???

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 01:26 PM »
Looks like it's been changed to $19.  Yesterday and even just a couple of hours ago, the big "Buy Now!" button was saying $9.95.  I don't think it was a mistake, because the ordering page said "Summer discount" and it doesn't say that anymore.  Maybe I got the last one and it reminded him to raise the price.  Sorry everyone!  It's still $10 off what it normally is.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 01:54 PM »
OK I have been playing with it and it is very pretty ... but what does it do that WMPlayer doesn't?? (apart from not play MPG files). I know I can play RM and QT videos in it too (but is that because I already have those codecs on my system?)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 03:33 PM »
I haven't had any problems playing mpeg files with it.  I'm sure like most players (besides ones like vlc), Light Alloy just uses the codecs already on the computer, but I can't be sure.  So, I'm assuming you can RM and QT files because they are already installed.  This is true for me when I use MPC.

Light Alloy doesn't really do anything that WMPlayer can't do, it's just that it does it better and is very lightweight.  It's playlist features are better, mouse features are customizable, and it has cool OSD features like Zoom Player.

Actually, I probably wouldn't have gotten it if it was $19 like it is, but when it was $10, it was a bargain.  Call me cheap.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 04:31 PM »
"Cheap" "Cheap" ...

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 08:57 PM »
I have installed the trial. I will play with it a bit but I am not sure what makes it with $20 with several very good free players around. Bad attitude, right? :D It does have a shiny UI. :P Can the playlist be detached?

- Oshyan