topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Directory used by the Paste-As-File function  (Read 7792 times)

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Superticker's SU reviews about technology
    • Donate to Member
Directory used by the Paste-As-File function
« on: June 26, 2017, 09:33 PM »
How do I control the directory used by the Paste-As-File operation?  I would like to save these files on my Desktop.  How do I do that?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Directory used by the Paste-As-File function
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:39 PM »
The paste-as-file function (an idea stolen from DC member Chris Gingerich) tries to paste the file into WHATEVER APPLICATION WINDOW IS IN FRONT.

So basically if you wanted to paste a clip on your desktop, you go to your desktop and click on it and then use the function.  Or open a file explorer and go to the directory you want to paste into and invoke it there.

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 10:14 PM »
Wow, that response was impressively fast.  :D

Hmmm, apparently it's not working then; I get the bell sound whenever I invoke it.  How do I get an error message out of CHS when the bell sounds?

Also, if it's pasting into an application window, then what's the file name associated with Paste-As-File used for?  (I must be missing something.)

I searched the forum, but no one mentions this feature.  I must be the only one having problems with it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 10:21 PM »
It's not a commonly known feature..

then what's the file name associated with Paste-As-File used for?

Let me clarify.  This feature is for pasting the clip contents (text or image) as a newly created file, with the filename specified.

Therefore, it is only useful when "pasting" into a File Explorer program, or on the desktop (though it's possible that desktop pasting doesn't work on all versions of windows?).

When you do a "paste as file" -- a new file should be created with the filename you have specified.

If pasting to the desktop is not working, maybe try pasting inside Windows File Explorer or whatever third party file explorer you use.

Make sure you are in a window where you can create a new file (and have persmission to do so).  And try triggering the paste-as-file function from the quick pop-up menu.

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 10:35 PM »
... if it's pasting into an application window, then what's the file name associated with Paste-As-File used for?
Okay, if I click the Desktop, then invoke the Paste-As-File feature, I get a file created on the Desktop with the associated Paste-As-File file name.  That works nicely.  Interesting feature....  I've been using CHS for several years and didn't even know it could do this.

But if I open a Notepad window, then invoke the Paste-As-File function, I get nothing....  Okay, I just read your followup post, which says I must use a File Explorer directory management program instead, and the goal is to create a new file, not paste into an arbitrary open window.  I think I got it now.  Thanks for all the help.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 10:41 PM »
the goal is to create a new file, not paste into an arbitrary open window

Yes exactly. This feature is ONLY used to create a new file on the desktop or inside a file explorer (or presumably another application where you can paste a FILE -- which might include some image editors, etc.).

It will only work in target applications that know how to handle a pasted FILE.  This will typically be a file explorer tool.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 11:58 PM »
@mouser: Where is the paste-as-file function in CHS please? I don't see it.

I'm curious to know because, though I don't actually need it, for years I have been accustomed to using "paste-as-file" for text and for images - by default, in xplorer² - and had forgotten that the function was not a default in Windows Explorer.

I just tried it  now in Windows Explorer under Win10-64 PRO, and it's still not there as a default function. Sadly unimpressive, that.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 12:02 AM »
It's available when you RIGHT-CLICK an item in the quick paste menu.

Here's the right-click menu you see when you right-click on a clip in the quick paste popup menu:
Screenshot - 6_27_2017 , 12_04_25 AM.png

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 02:07 AM »
Thanks @mouser. I don't think I've ever used that right-click menu...certainly not the paste-as-file bit, anyway.    :-[

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 02:36 AM »
The most useful items in that menu imho are : print, favorite, and paste using key strokes.

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 07:28 AM »
I don't think I've ever used that right-click menu. ...certainly not the paste-as-file bit
I haven't used this Paste-As-File feature before either.  This feature is almost too clever.  You need to make a directory-oriented program [such as Windows Explorer] your front most window, then invoke the Paste-As-File operation [say with Ctl+Alt+V to reach the right-click menu, then select "Additional actions on last clip (...)", and then select the "Paste Clip as File.." menu item] to make it work.

Because it's a little like trying to (1) scratch you head, (2) chew gum, and (3) skip backwards all as the same time, I don't think anyone knows about it.  It's a super-secret, undocumented feature that you can only reach by walking through several trap doors.  Not even the forum knows about it ... until now.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:11 PM by superticker »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 07:13 PM »
@superticker: Very droll. That's actually rather a good (not necessarily accurate, though) description, albeit a tad sarcastic.

Nevertheless, this feature is just another example of why CHS is such a brilliant clipboard information manager.
It has so many useful features and different ways of accessing them that one could probably make the thing stand its information clips on their heads - e.g., Virtual Folders.

Hmm. Maybe I should do a mini-review of CHS...    :o

Attronarch

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 02:22 AM »
Is it possible to make a hotkey for this option? I looked through preferences, but couldn't find it.

I use this feature quite often, and quarduple click is getting boring.

Attronarch

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 05:48 AM »
Is it possible to make a hotkey for this option? I looked through preferences, but couldn't find it.

I use this feature quite often, and quarduple click is getting boring.

Anybody found a good way?